Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On BTEA & Grant this year - Will I get both next year?

Options
  • 05-01-2010 6:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭

In light of the changes made to BTEA and Grant eligibility it would appear that current students are in receipt of both will not be effected and will continue to receive both whilst they finish their studies.

At the moment I am receiving both the BTEA and the Maintenance Grant however I am just doing a year long PLC course.

My original plan all along was to do the PLC course first then go onto a 3rd Level college to get a degree.

Seeing as I'm already receiving both payments will I be counted as one of the current students who will not be effected by the changes in the budget, or when I start college in September will I be classed as a brand new applicant and therefore not be eligible to receive the grant even though I am progressing on my studies and going onto a higher level course?

If I don't get the grant next year I won't be able to go to college :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

the best thing you can do is contact the grant's department in your county council / VEC office and tell them what you want to do. they will advice you what you will be entitled to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Trish2007

Ive heard of people moving from level 7 to level 8 getting a letter saying they might not get both payments next year, so what your doing would be similar.
    You would be applying for the grant again under a new application as it would be a new course.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Tasha90

Will you be filling out a new grant application or grant renewal form? as far as I know you would be continuing education and will be filling out a grant renewal form so you should be entitled to BTEA. But you should get it checked out from your local Authority/VEC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭CZ 453

I seen something about this on the local councils website......the form is called changes for 2010....That was on the cork city vec website and the cork county website as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

TBH probably not. I moved from a fetac level 6 to 8 and had to reapply completely. Grant renewal forms are (AFAIK) only for when moving from year to year in the same course.

Sorry :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭danois

I have just emailed wicklow vec to ask them to explain to me what i can apply for next year. I am studying a level 6 plc course at the min and wan to go on to ucd i hope so i asked what payments i will be able to keep if i get an answer i will let you know what they say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭pandamoanium

Hi all,

Thanks for the responses.

I've been the past fortnight onto nearly every VEC in the country, Students Unions and even the Dept of Education and no-one can give me a yes/no.

Will update if I find out anything for definite...

Advertisement