Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Intercom

Options
  • 05-01-2010 5:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

HI,
    I'v been asked to install a room to room intercom in a friends home, they want the system to work between indvidual rooms in a 8 room house!
    My problem is I'v gone online and its turning out to be be quite hard to find such a system.

Does anyone here know where I could find such a system, any help would great.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 cableguyireland

http://www.kbsound.net/website/products/kb_pro_premium.html

This is the lad you want its not to expensive and works as complete audio system with room to room intercom/baby monitor.. Available from Eurosales lectrical wholesalers in Dublin although im sure its available elsewhere, Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Tech Overhaul

You could think about maybe using free open source pbx phone system. If the house is wired with cat5 to each room, this would be a good option. The PBX will be an intercom and phone system in one.

Just need an oldish PC and some cheap ip phones that support the intercom function. Loads of tutorial videos on online.

Two free options:

http://www.3cx.com/
    or
    http://www.trixbox.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭techguy

You could think about maybe using free open source pbx phone system. If the house is wired with cat5 to each room, this would be a good option. The PBX will be an intercom and phone system in one.

Just need an oldish PC and some cheap ip phones that support the intercom function. Loads of tutorial videos on online.

Two free options:

http://www.3cx.com/
    or
    http://www.trixbox.org/

I've looked into this before bu didn't find any concrete info on the cost of such a setup.

If you can recall off the top of your head could you tell me the cost of a a PCI pbx/telephone card..? I was checking this out and they quickly ran into the hundreds.. Also how much would a basic IP phone cost? Could I run the server for this in a VM on a more powerful server?

Thanks.

Sorry to hijack thread but I think OP will benefit from the answers..

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Tech Overhaul

techguy wrote: »
    I've looked into this before bu didn't find any concrete info on the cost of such a setup.

If you can recall off the top of your head could you tell me the cost of a a PCI pbx/telephone card..? I was checking this out and they quickly ran into the hundreds.. Also how much would a basic IP phone cost? Could I run the server for this in a VM on a more powerful server?

Thanks.

Sorry to hijack thread but I think OP will benefit from the answers..

Sorry for the delayed reply. The setup cost isn't really that much for an internal system. The PCI pbx/telephone cards are expensive but they are used to connect ordinary telephone PSTN eircom lines to your pbx. These wouldn't be necessary for the OP's use. They would more likely be used in a small office with several eircom telephone lines...

As for cost:
    Old PC: € Cheap / Free (Doesn't need to be a super machine)
    Network switch (16 port) : Around €40 new
    Voip Phones: Grandstream €66 Cisco Linksys €85

I setup a small 3 phone pbx test at home yesterday to see how easy it was using bits of hardware I already had.

Hardware I used.
    • Old PC with 1 GB ram Windows 7 RC installed.
    • 3com switch
    • 1st phone :My Siemens C450IP house phone (I usually use this with blueface)
    • 2nd phone: 3CX Softphone used on my own pc.
    • 3rd phone: I used an old linksys ATA that I wasn't using with normal phone.

To setup:
    Connect everything to the switch. (My router is also connected to handle the DHCP)
    I installed the 3cx software onto the old pc and setup 3 extensions with username (extension number), password and email address for notifications.
    Only took about 5-10 minutes to install. Take note of the ip address.

Phones setup is really simple you only need to enter the extension username, password and ip address of 3CX pc.
    • C450IP: Took a few minutes to setup because the web interface was very slow. It was more of a siemens problem than a 3cx issue.
    • Softphone: Really simple. Can't go wrong
    • Linksys ATA: It was a simple setup too. Better than the siemens

When I was finished all phones could ring each other and leave a voicemail if need be. As far as I know I could setup blueface for an outside line but I haven't tried yet. I might try over the weekend. I was also going to try a trixbox install to see how they compare.

Advertisement