Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Now I'm still running...

• 05-01-2010 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭

Time to start a new log I reckon (log number 3). Had meant to start this earlier but things went a bit pear shaped over the last 6 weeks or so. Finished up last time after the Berlin marathon in Sept and took is easy enough on the running side of things for October. Got a proper swimming lesson and really concentrated on getting to grips with that, made great progress and by the end of November was knocking out 1000m swims easily enough.

I was just doing shorter faster runs to keep the fitness up about clocking about 20-25km per week which included 800m interval sessions and swimming about 3-4k per week also. Got a weight programs done up in the gym and was hitting that once per week.

Had more colds, flus and chest infections in December that he last 5 years combined, so was barely running once or twice a week so wasn’t worth starting a log. Had hoped to be building up to longer runs in Dec but just wasn’t up to it. Had also targeted a good time in Dungarvan at the end of the month bit I’m at least month behind so I might just enter it a give it a lash. No plans to run a marathon this year just want to concentrate on distances up to half marathon. I’ve already entered the Kildare Half so that will be a major target for this year.

Need to put a bit of structure on the training, at the moment I’m kinda of running without a purpose, so over the next couple of weeks this should start to take shape.

Ran 4 out of the last 5 days

5.3km on Fri 5:00/km
    7.5km on Sat 4:45/km
    8.5km on Sun 4:55/km
    8km Today 4:20/km

Today’s run was a treadmill session and the others were all done on grass. Need to start building a bit of endurance…so we’ll see how it goes this time! :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

So what are you time goals this year. I know your not in great running shape at present but 8 weeks and ballycotton loom...........
    I expect a sub 66 min 10 mile 88 min half and sub 40 min 10km this year......and sub 3.15 marathon.........U might say i am way off but these were realistic last june but you never kicked on......Hols, alps etc didnt help.
    Best of luck with the new log......And tuesday evening sessions are looming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Good luck Ike, hopefully we'll get to hook up for a run or two over the next month or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

I know your not in great running shape at present

Up yours :D

Just for that I'm going balls out for Dungarvan :D

Absolutely asimonov, the GAA pitch at home have been serving me well over the last week or with the weather, one loop is approx 1.35K, very handy on a weekend morning good for intervals as well

ike wrote: »
    Up yours :D

Just for that I'm going balls out for Dungarvan :D

Absolutely asimonov, the GAA pitch at home have been serving me well over the last week or with the weather, one loop is approx 1.35K, very handy on a weekend morning good for intervals as well

Put some times down there and knock them one by one......
    You owe Berlin a battering ??

Less than auspicious start to the new log been more or less snowed in since last Wed evening, so could'nt make it to work and therefore couldn't could'nt get to the gyn either. Also way too much snow on the ground so the roads and grass trails were out of bounds also.

Eased back into it today

10k - 50min on the treadmill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Best of luck Ike. Kildare looks like it should be a fast (flat) route so be aggressive with your targets.. It's more entertaining that way :D....

Cheers Rigal - the Kildare Half will be definately one of the major targets this year, signed up for it last week (when I had nothing better to do!). Will definately be targetting a sub 1:30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Good to see you back ike, will follow your log with interest

Thanks kenny it probably won't be much to read about for the next few weeks, trying to catch on a few more logs here...

Today

Hill session on the treadmill

Pace 5:00/km
    1min @ 0% followed by 1min @ 5% for 30min
    6K covered.

Followed by a nice 15min of stretching and core work

Hit the gym today for a good 70min of weights and core work.

Really need to get back at the swimming again, made huge progress last year so want to resume it again.

• Advertisement

Yesterday Thurs 13th

Had meetings in work directly before and after lunch so could only squeeze in a 5km on the threadmill @ 5:00/km

Today

Swimming this morning 570m felt good to be back in the pool

Just back from a 8km run at 4:55/km

This morning:

13.7km 1:07:40 averaging 4:56/km,

Ran on grass felt OK just starting to build up some endurance

Interval session today was meant to do this yesterday but couldn't fit it in..

1.6km Warmup

6x800 @ 3:10 per 800
    90sec rest

1km Cooldown ~8km in total.

Signed up for the Dungarvan 10miler last night, not 100% sure if i'll do it or not, I'm at least 2 months off having a good crack at a decent 10miler but we'll see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

Interval session today was meant to do this yesterday but couldn't fit it in..

1.6km Warmup

6x800 @ 3:10 per 800
    90sec rest

1km Cooldown ~8km in total.

Signed up for the Dungarvan 10miler last night, not 100% sure if i'll do it or not, I'm at least 2 months off having a good crack at a decent 10miler but we'll see.

That's a good session there Ike.

Handy 6.4km averaging around 5:00/km.

Followed by 570m swim

Thursday 21st
    AM - 760m Swim
    PM - 8km run - 5km @ 4:45/km 3km @ 4:30/km

Friday 22nd
    9km run - felt fcuked before, during and after this one averaged around 4:55/km

Monday 25th
    5km Run with final 800m @ 3:45pace

Today
    950m swim (absolutely glided through this session)

Decided to definately not run in the Dungarvan 10 on Sun, would be a complete waste of a day to head down and struggle to run 75min can stay at home and do that. Pity should be another good day out.

Need a good few more weeks to get back up to speed

12.9km this evening with villagerunner averaging 5:05/km,

Really got into it for the last 3km. Good run, first time in a few weeks that I've over the hour mark.

Had myself in a bit of a rut and sticking to the treadmill too much, everything felt much easier on the road this evening. Hopefully thats the kick in the ar$e that I need...

950m meter swim at lunchtime, put a big emphasis on getting the kick right, felt good.

760m swim this morning

8.2km this afternoon - nearly opted for the treadmill, glad I went on the road instead. A nice snot inducing, head clearing run in 39:40 averaging 4:50/km.

Sunday

Did an 8K tempo @ 4:25 pace, with a 2k warmup and 2km cooldown. good enought session was happy with it.

Back is ****ed at the moment, hobbling around the place like a 80 year, get it every so often and after a day of 2 it goes away. Its OK when I'm moving around but after a bout of sitting down it stiffens up, will give see how I am tomorrow before running...

• Advertisement

Back is almost better - gets worse when I sit down for long periods. Just haven't chanced running

Swam 570m Yesterday

Swam 1026m today (although 1.02km sounds better :)) first time to break through the 1km barrier.

Ironman on the agenda ???
    Or a couple of triathlons at least.

Ironman on the agenda ???
    Or a couple of triathlons at least.

Ya never know with me ;)

8km today averaging 4:43/km, first run since this day last week, my back is feeling much better, hope I can get a few consistant weeks together

Yesterday Mon - Handy 5km

Today

am - 760m Swim
    pm - 8.2km run @ 4:55/km pace

Ya never know with me ;)

8km today averaging 4:43/km, first run since this day last week, my back is feeling much better, hope I can get a few consistant weeks together

Hows the back ?? It aint stopping you swimming anyway. Great strides made there. Now its to make them running again.
    Have that few bob for you in the car.

Back is 100% did't even think about until you mentioned it...You were spotted this morning ;)....you going out tomorrow evening?

Bit of catching up...

Wed 10th
    AM Swimming 760m

Thurs 11th
    PM Running - 8.2km in 39:30 (Road)

Friday 12th
    AM - Swimming 760m timed myself at 16:35 (have no idea how good is bad this is)

PM - 5.2km easy run in under 26min (Road)

Today 14th
    Target was to run for an hour stopped the watch with 12.06km covered (Grass)

Yesterday

Swimming 1140m (1x20sec rest) good session really enjoyed it furthest I've swam to date

Today

5.2km run (not really in the humour today) - followed by 20min of stretching and core work.

9.7km run average 4:50/km

Met villagerunner in the park and jumped in for about 3km...

• Advertisement
Advertisement