Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psychology?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Options
  • 05-01-2010 4:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

What is the deal about psychology for god sake? I really would love to study it but have been advised not to do it by 2 different career guidance teachers. Apparently, jobs are scarce even with a masters. I am prepared to stay in college for as long as it takes for this:mad:.Anyone enlighten me who is thinking about psychology or is studying it now?
    Thanks in advance:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Mary007

Well there are few jobs in any sector these days so I wouldn't let that put you off. After you've done your 4 year basic degree and then your masters we should (I hope) be out of recession and the country will hopefully be picking up. Worst case scenario, there are always countries to emigrate to with your degree, and most universities these days offer Erasmus to non-language students also - giving you a chance to practise in other countries and broaden your horizons. End of the day, if physcology is what you want to do why would you do anything else? Who knows what the situation is going to be like in 5/6 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭*giggles*

Just make sure whatever course you do in college, once you've graduated, you have a degree recognised by the Psychological Society of Ireland, and other institutions abroad. Some universities here may give you a degree in psychology, but there aren't worth the paper they're written on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Meant to be very difficult to get a job in Psychology.

Also, do some serious amount of reading before you put it down as number 1 on the CAO, so many people drop out because the put it down thinking "Hey, psychology sounds cool" and it's not what they expected.

Just bear that in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Fad wrote: »

Also, do some serious amount of reading before you put it down as number 1 on the CAO, so many people drop out because the put it down thinking "Hey, psychology sounds cool" and it's not what they expected.

Just bear that in mind.

Great advice tbh. Psychology is very in vogue atm and nowhere near as cool as it sounds.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Fad wrote: »

Just bear that in mind.

Fad's right on the button.

Certain parts of psychology are very enjoyable (e.g. Social) but others are a lot more difficult and abstract. I'm doing Psychology now and it involves loads of reading of books and articles, which can be quite heavy. Many fields of psychology involve theories, which nobody can prove, and which can get very confusing. It can get annoying when there is never a straight answer to a question such as How do I imagine things in my head?.

I'm not trying to put you off it, just be sure that you know what an undergrad psychology course is really like before you enter into it. It's not like what many people expect (e.g. that you'll be able to read minds:D;))

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

sxeboi wrote: »
    Apparently, jobs are scarce even with a masters.

Oh, and you need a masters to work as any type of psychologist. An undergrad psychologist degree doesn't qualify you.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

dambarude wrote: »
    Fad's right on the button.

Certain parts of psychology are very enjoyable (e.g. Social) but others are a lot more difficult and abstract. I'm doing Psychology now and it involves loads of reading of books and articles, which can be quite heavy. Many fields of psychology involve theories, which nobody can prove, and which can get very confusing. It can get annoying when there is never a straight answer to a question such as How do I imagine things in my head?.

I'm not trying to put you off it, just be sure that you know what an undergrad psychology course is really like before you enter into it. It's not like what many people expect (e.g. that you'll be able to read minds:D;))

im doing midwifery and within that we had a compulsary psychology module. i thought to myself great , this will be a good one as i had thought about doing psychology when i was in school. but my god did this module bore the hell out of me. i hated it . all these stupid theories based on what other people think, not fact. it wrecked my head. so yeah make sure you really really research it before making your decision/

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Orlaladuck

I don't do psychology myself but my bf does and he loves it but as far as I can tell you it seems to involve lots of essays which are quite difficult to write as referencing and all the journal entries can often contradict each other and it seems very frustrating. Also there's a good bit of statistics work involved.
    Also if you are going to do it, try and get a Science degree rather than a BA.
    Loads of people seem to be wanting to do psychology at the moment but few seem to actually know what's involved so really look into it before you make up your mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 subo

I have recently finished a masters in psychology and found it very difficult and loved it. But be warned there are no / very few jobs, be prepared to work on a voluntary basis for a year or two!

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Hi I'm studying Psychology right now (Well, Psychology and Sociology, but I think I can still offer my advice..)
    First and foremost, if it's what you want to do, go for it.
    You seem willing to put in the work, and tbh I think anyone is better off staying in education as long as possible these days.
    I don't think job prospects in Psychology aren't any worse than any other sector, even if you don't go on to be an actual psychologist, it is such a broad subject that can lead into anything, and is an aspect of many courses already.
    Someone mentioned accredation by the PSI , also very important.
    That's why I decided to do Psych and Soc in UL instead of just Psychology in UL, because my course is accredited whilst the other is not (although most people are usually like 'yeah right didnt get the points for straight psych', which I did btw).
    Besides the point, basically if it;s what you want to do go for it, but like any other course look into it as much as possible.
    Psychology is quite different to how I ever imagined it, and I had pretty much been researching it since TY.
    Feel free to ask any questions. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement