Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foetal hearbeat at 6wks?

Options
  • 05-01-2010 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know if it's unusal not to detect a foetal heartbeat at 6wks? I had a scan two weeks ago and am due back tomorrow - the doctor didn't seem at all concerned, said everything looked normal but he couldn't detect the heartbeat and said as I was 6wks, it's often too early so I'm back tomorrow. But I'm terribly nervous although I've had no cramping or bleeding. Has this happened to anyone?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Hiya.

It's normal enough for the scan not to be able to pick up the heartbeat at that early stage due to different positions of the embryo. I think the fact that the doctor wasn't concerned says a lot. Try not to stress out about it (hard I know!).

Good luck with your second scan.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Earliest we've had a scan is 7 weeks and they warned us that we might not see a heartbeat and not to take it negatively if we didn't. 6 weeks is very early so try not to worry about it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 inspired09

Hiya,
    Ive recently been in a similar situation. Went to have an early scan on 21st Dec because i had been spotting. According to my GP i was 6 & half weeks. At the hospital they could not see heartbeat.
    I stressed out all over xmas even though the doc at the hospital said i shouldnt worry.
    So i went back yesterday for a scan & was delighted to be told babys heart was beating.
    Instead of measuring over 8 weeks though baby only measured about 7 so the doc said that babs was probably too small at the first scan to pick up heartbeat.
    Best of luck to you hope everything goes well next time round x

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

?Well that all sounds positive, thanks so much. Unfortunately, i can't get into the hospital today because of the weather - I'd be terrified to drive or walk on the footpaths around my house so I've rescheduled for friday. Thanks again for the positivity..I'll keep you posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

Hi,

Yea, I had a scan and 6 weeks and sonographer saw nothing. You have to bear in mind when ovulation took place and also when you had sex and consider when conception actually took place so dates can be out by a bit, so try not to worry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

thanks again..had to reschedule scan for this thursday because I was practically snowbound - still no cramps or bleeding tg and I still feel pregnant. It's just a waiting game now..thanks for positivity again xx

Advertisement