Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air Tightness Test - Dublin...

Options
  • 05-01-2010 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I've a number a draughts in the 3 bed semi-detached house we purchased and moved into in May of 2009. Namely, sections of the skirting board (we replaced the floors), underneath 2 or 3 doors which don't reach the floor / saddles and along the frame of the outside porch door.

That is to say, that's all I've found but I've no doubt that there may be some more! I'm petrified to see our gas bill for December / January when it rolls around...

So, I want to get this fixed! I've read up that an Air Tightness Test seems to be what I'm looking for. I'd like to get this carried out ASAP, but I don't know much about it.

1. Does anyone have any recommendations for businesses / individuals who are acreditted and can carry this out?
    2. Are there places that will do the test AND provide a quote for fixing the issues? Or do you typically then go elsewhere to have them fixed?
    3. Am I going about this in the right way? :) If there's an easier solution, please let me know!

I'd happily try my hand at some DIY, but really I'd like to just get a full assessment of the house to ensure that we get "everywhere" we can.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭beyondpassive

Hi, I have carried out numerous air tests. Most air leakage problems are common to all houses. 1990's and 2000's dormers are the big culprits. Radient Heating sytems in houses act like hot air baloons, boyant warm air rises and blows out through the upper half of the house, cold air is sucked in the lower half of the house to compensate.
    can you answer a few questions.

Are the drafts more severe when you light the fire? Warm air rising in the chimney draws in cold air at low level.
    Are the hole in the wall vents blocked?
    Have someone blow cigarrette smoke rings at the attic trapdoor to see if air is dumping down through it.
    Do the same for downlighters or just put your hand against them.
    Is the house timber frame? When was it built.
    Is it a dormer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

Hi BeyondPassive,

Thanks for the reply. I'll try answer your questions as best I can:

Are the drafts more severe when you light the fire? Warm air rising in the chimney draws in cold air at low level.
    We have yet to actually light the fire, so I'm not sure.

Are the hole in the wall vents blocked?
    No, I understand that this can cause moisture / dampness issues and also is probably not the healthiest. They should all be open, afaik.

Have someone blow cigarrette smoke rings at the attic trapdoor to see if air is dumping down through it...

We recently had floorboards put down in the attic (a basic job, just for storing items, not really for standing on, etc.), which should help to an extent. The cold problem does seem to be localised downstairs, however.

Do the same for downlighters or just put your hand against them...
    I will, but can you let me know what a downlighter is please? :)

Is the house timber frame? When was it built?
    I'm not sure, but it was built in 2001/2002 by Bovale. It's Torcaill, in Portmarnock, which is a very similar build to Boroimhe out in Swords (if you're familiar with either).

Is it a dormer?
    This is going to sound stupid, but 'maybe' :) I'm not totally clear on what a dormer is, but the kitchen extends outwards underneath the master bedroom. Doesn't really 'protrude' from the roof though...? Sorry about this!

Advertisement