Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best thing about your job?

Options
  • 05-01-2010 1:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi all, i'm doing a little bit of research - trying to find out what makes people tick in the workplace (I will probably follow with a similar post about what makes people get thick in the workplace!)

Would people mind mentioning the things they like most about their jobs or miss most about jobs you've had before? Looking forward to seeing what we can come up with!

My top three are...

1. Work that I do.
    2. People I work for.
    3. Flexibility.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭qwytre

1) working from home
    2) flexibility (can start and finish whenever I want)
    3) autonomy, most of the time I can work by myself on projects

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

Can 'fix' my tax credits if im having a tight month

nuff said :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It pays the rent.
    It keeps my daughter fed.
    They have free diet coke.

(working on contract in the UK and missing having a permanent job at home with my family badly)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Have only recently started my job, 2 weeks done.

So having to get up and losing all the freedom I had has been hard to get used to.

But to balance that out I am working in the specific area I wanted to when I was finishing up college, its an area I never dreamed I'd get into until way further down the line so with that in mind I obviously love the work I do, its extremmely challenging for a graduate though as I'm being left to my own devices researching a new technology but ultimately it will be extremmely rewarding.

To add to that the people are very nice with a good mix of nationalities and the company is very small with a good atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

good/bad: I can do it in my sleep
    I'm posting here am i not? :)
    on a normal day it takes me 25 minutes to get here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fret_wimp

1. Work that I do. -- Im in IT
    2. People I work for. --Folks in the right place at the right time who get ahead by stepping on the little guy
    3. Flexibility. --not particularly flexible.

Whats the best thing about it? Knowing that the sweet release of death is only 60 years away ( possibly less!)

All joking aside:

1. Work that I do. -- Im in IT
    2. People I work for. --Im not sure i understand this question, are you referring to the company or my direct managers.
    The company is a large multinational. dont want to say more on a message board. they treat us very fairly.

My direct managment, are ok. Completly cluless as to how to manage an IT team ( I end up writing mails for them, they just forward them on, changing the name at the bottom). may be good managers in other fields. they are fair though.

3. Flexibility. --The job has its constraints. you have to work 2 late shifts per month, but you are given good notice so its not a huge issue. Until recently, when we lost some staff, it was easy enough to get time off at short notice, although its a little more difficult now. They do expect you to work over xmas, at least xmas eve, stephens day, new years eve and or new years day. This is one of the main things that will drive me out of this job as christmas is my family time. thats the only place where i really draw a hard line.

Best thing about it? Its a pretty safe job in an otherwise turbulent market during a recession, pays ok and is moderately flexible. Has also provided some good experience that will help me in moving on to a better job whenever that may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Black Dog

I retired

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

1. pay & pension
    2. its not too stressful (most of the time)
    3. i work for an organisation that makes a difference (i know thats corny!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

The fact that my manager isn't constantly breathing down my neck - I don't have a desk job. (though when he rings, I know it's because there's a problem!!)
    Great craic. I meet some great characters through my job.
    The feeling that I'm working endless hours as a part of a really good team. Weird one, that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

It used to be that I worked with my Boyfriend, but we've been hearing increasing rumours now that he's going to be made redundant :(
    he's thrilled cause he's going to go as a full time musician if it happens, but i hate it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Roidinc

Thanks for all your feedback!

Bubblefett, hopefully it will all work out whatever the outcome!

Gaz wac, hmmmmmm first time that's ever been mentioned as a perk! I like it!

Qwytre, I often work from home but find it very cabin fever-ish! I suppose it depends on your surroundings and my house is very cold no matter what I do!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 huntd3

qwytre, what do you work at? My girlfriend is looking to work from home and something with flexible hours would really suit her.

dan_d your job also sounds interesting. I myself am trying to get away from desk jobs. What do you work at?

Advertisement