Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tragus & upper ear cartilage aftercare

Options
  • 05-01-2010 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Hi all. My boyfriend and I, on a kinda spur of the moment, got a couple of piercings yesterday - I got my tragus done and the fella got a ring at the top of his ear (i.e. in the cartilage). Piercing studio seemed super professional, was very happy with the experience, though was on such a buzz at the time that I didn´t notice that the piercer didn´t tell me anything about aftercare.

I had my tragus pierced once before, years ago, and I took it out when it got infected cos I was traveling and couldn´t take proper care of it. Really don´t want that to happen again this time! I know not to touch it, not to use headphones, etc, but I´m finding conflicting evidence on the interweb about whether I should be washing it with soap or salt water or at all, how often per day, whether I should be turning the jewelery (it´s a small bar / stud with a flat screw-on at the back, sorry not sure what it´s called!) etc.

Also, the piercer told my boyfriend that he should just wash his when he´s shampooing his hair; this sounded a bit strange to me. Really hoping this piercer wasn´t dodgy... as I say it was a bit of a spur of the moment decision and we didn´t know the place (it´s in Barcelona, not Ireland), not the best thinking but sometimes the moment just seizes you... :rolleyes:

Any advice would be great, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I´m finding conflicting evidence on the interweb about whether I should be washing it with soap or salt water or at all, how often per day, whether I should be turning the jewelery (it´s a small bar / stud with a flat screw-on at the back, sorry not sure what it´s called!) etc.
    You should follow the advice in this thread: Guidelines for healing your piercings
    as should your boyfriend. He shouldn't wash his piecing when he's shampooing his hair, and should take care not to get shampoo in/on the piercing while it's healing.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭CamillaRhodes

Doh, should´ve noticed that sticky, thanks Damo! Will follow all the usual - I´ve my nose and navel done as well and used to just wash both, twice a day, with boiled salt water on a cotton pad / bud. No major problems when I stuck to the rules. There´s no particular peculiarities about tragus / cartilage that I should worry about?

Thanks for the word to the fella about not using shampoo, I was pretty sure that sounded wrong... :-/

Advertisement