Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wired v Wireless for new network.

Options
  • 05-01-2010 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

I am installing a new network, and I had intended to use wiring for the PC's and wireless for the laptops., however the materials cost at lot of money and that is before labour. I am considering using wireless instead what are the pros and cons of this please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

The pros are wiring / installation costs as you've noticed, although factor in wifi cards/dongles for the desktops...

The cons are that as you'll have a number of machines connecting to a wifi point, they'll be sharing a single part of radio frequency, and so bandwidth can be a problem. How many desktops / laptops are there, will they be operating at the same time, and what will they be using the network for?

If you were to go the wifi route, one way of mitigating the radio spectrum problems is to get a simultaneous dual band access point, such as: http://www.buffalo-technology.com/products/wireless/wireless-n-nfiniti-dual-band/wzr-ag300nh-wireless-n-nfiniti-dual-band-gigabit-router-access-point/
    you could get your laptops to connect a 2.4Ghz, and your desktops at 5Ghz, and that way they could co-exist to an extent. Naturally, you'd have to make sure you get 5Ghz wifi cards/dongles for the desktops

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Dardania wrote: »
    and so bandwidth can be a problem

Thats the major issue I see here. With wired all pc's will each have a dedicated 100Mbps connection. With wireless, with 802.11g, they'll have to share an approx 20Mbps connection between them, and if there's even a single PC a distance away or in a corner with poor reception, it will cause this to be reduced further for every user (ie everybody might share an 5 Mbps or 11Mbps connection).

You could fiddle around with multiple AP's on different channels to improve this, but if its for any decent sized install, I'd pony up for the wired.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Thanks lads, I think I will go with wired, there will be up to 20 pcs on the network does it make sense to put a 5 port switch (cost €10) at the end of single cables from my main switch to save on network points, cabling and ducting.

Advertisement