Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roof noises

Options
  • 05-01-2010 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭

Recently refurbed and extended an old cottage and ever since its been finished when its frosty at night the roof has been making crackling/popping noises, the roof is natural slate, I'm thinking it might be the warm air from the house(attic not insulated yet, ran out of funds:( ) causing the cold frosty slates to make the noise but am just looking for other opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

No offense gofaster_s13 but rolls of fibre glass insulation are very cheap. Some Stores have special offers at this time of year. If you don't spend money on insulation you will spend it on fuel - so save yourself some money and buy insulation asap.

You may have answered your own question. The noise could be timbers expanding / contracting in the severe temperatures of -4 to -8. If your house is at +22 degrees then there could be as much as 30 degree temp difference in your roof!

There would be less movement and condensation risk if your roof was properly insulated (as required by the Building Regulations / Law)

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭teepee

The cracking noise is from small trapped water drops under the slates , with it starts to frezze the water expands dus the cracking effect only happens on natural slate . I have a well insulated house and the same noise applys . :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭martin46585

as already posted ,my roof does exactly the same with natural slates, insulation is a must without question, though it will not make the cracking go away,but it will make the sound less obvious and loud....

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Wonky Knees

teepee wrote: »
    The cracking noise is from small trapped water drops under the slates , with it starts to frezze the water expands dus the cracking effect only happens on natural slate . I have a well insulated house and the same noise applys . :)

+1

Advertisement