Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bansko

Options
  • 04-01-2010 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

Hey all.
    Im heading to Bansko with a few friends to have a go at snowboarding. One of the guys parents own an apartment so we thought wed have a go since it was cheap. Im going on Feb 1st. Were all absolute beginners. Anyone ever been?
    Im looking some hints on hidden gems and the like. By the way its 6 blokes going so we will be in the pub alot!
    Thanks
    Marty

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

Never been but a few friends went last year and they were complete beginners too.everything was cheap and they had a good time,it was an added bonus that there was 8 scottish girls staying in their hotel and they hooked up with them.Its a new up and coming resort and i havent heard anything negative about it yet.Just go and make your own mind up about things ,i find peoples advice and or favorite spots to go to have been my idea of a nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Martin Walker

Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Bloc

we went in a group of 20 two years ago. skiing wasnt bad not much variety to the slopes though fairly limited but perfect for beginners from what I hear the ski school is good and they seemed very professional. It was very warm when we were there but snow held up for the week. The run down to the town was very long and flat go as fast as you can at the top so hopefully your speed will bring you down especially if you are on a board had a bit of a laugh watchin all the boarders walkin the last km down to the gondola station.

Just a word of warning if there are a group of 6 of ye be careful where you venture to in town some parts are kind of rough! the locals in the area seem to have a chip on their shoulders according to other bulgarians working in the resort for the winter season.

Tips for Bansko:
    1.If there is a big queue at the gondola station in the morning just get a taxi up to where the gondola finishes it will cost 5-10 euro or less with a bit of haggling and they will bring 5 or 6 people plus skis etc and it only takes 5 mins plus you have the advantage of getting to the fresh snow before the crowds
    2. Tip the guys at the ski hire place make sure they see you this will change their grumpiness and they will give you better skis boots etc this worked for all of our group

Advertisement