Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4th Section

Options
  • 04-01-2010 10:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

I'm 19 weeks pregnant and facing my 4th section, is there anyone in the same boat.

i tried to breat feed after the 1st section but could not and gave up i'm thinking about trying agian but do not want to get disheartened

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I'm not in the same boat as you but I heard that breastfeeding is more difficult for c section mothers as let down takes longer than a natural birth as the hormones from the natural birth bring on let down.

Maybe I'm talking through my hat, so if anybody can correct me!

I'm also hoping to breastfeed this time around and dunno if I'll be going for VBAC or elective section, will find out tomorrow hopefully!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

The midwife at my antenatal classes advised hand expressing a couple of drops twice daily after 37 weeks to get it all started.

I think that with a c-section you don't get the same oxytocin "hit" you get with vaginal birth so sometimes it can take longer for your milk to come in or even your colostrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭woggie

Dunno about that! I had a c-section and started breast feeding straight away, no problems - yes I know it's not the same for everyone, but never heard that having a CS affected your breast milk. Some hospitals have terrific midwives that go out of their way to assist you in BFing while others just leave you to it, if you are really concerned about it maybe you could contact your local La Leche group?
    http://www.lalecheleagueireland.com/Local%20Groups.htm

best of luck to you

Advertisement