Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ford Escape 4x2 in ski resort

Options
  • 04-01-2010 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Couldnt find anything on this topic before and looking for some advice in relation to the abve vehicle (Mods: I have posted this in Winter Sorts also coz I think the viewers of each might be able to offer me some assistance).

I am going skiing in the US this year in a place called Brian Head a few hrs north of Vegas. While the Highway that goes throughthe resort (11000 feet) is ploughed and gritted, the resort advises having either 4wd or snowchains. I suspect that they would rarely be needed but, as I am renting something from Vegas anyway, I figure I should go with a 4WD just in case.

So here is my difficulty: the Ford Escape 4x2 is consistently coming up quite a bit cheaper than other 4WDs. Can anyone tell me whether this vehicle is 'just as good' as a regular 4WD or if its performance in adverse conditions is way off what might be needed.

Im a 4WD ignoramus so would appreciate any assistance. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

I think you need to look at what snow chains would cost to hire or buy they could be cheaper than you think
    I did a road trip around the area a few years ago in a ford escape 4wd and it seemed ok on snowy roads.

my advice is to look at what it would cost to hire snow chains. then look at what it would cost to buy a set of snow chains as long as you get in during shop opening hours you should be able to buy them.

btw I am not suggesting that you bring the snow chains home with you they should be cheap enough to just leave after you..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭goofygirl

My advice is go with the 4WD. I'm on my fourth ski-season in Canada at the moment and at the moment - the snow has been coming down pretty heavily all week - am using the 4WD on my truck on pretty much a daily basis getting to and from the hill.

The other thing to make sure is that you have good WINTER tyres. Not all-season tyres, proper winter tyres.

Advertisement