Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laptop with no firewire

Options
  • 04-01-2010 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭

is there any way i can capture a tape from a camcorder with no firewire connnection on my laptop?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭DDigital

You can get USB driven cards in PC World.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

USB to firewire cable might work. Check ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

but dont you need an expansion port?

JG009 wrote: »
    USB to firewire cable might work. Check ebay.

I got on of these before it broke my computer

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

If your laptop has a PCMCIA (called PC SLOT sometimes on Laptops)slot then you can buy a Firewire card that goes here , make sure it is OHCI compliant ( most are nowadays )

Presume you have at least Windows XP on the Laptop

• Advertisement

Bob Z wrote: »
    I got on of these before it broke my computer

I dont see how the cable broke your computer? If you camera and pc supported such a connection I dont see why it wouldnt work. I got one for my laptop but havent used it yet.

I dont see how the cable broke your computer? If you camera and pc supported such a connection I dont see why it wouldnt work. I got one for my laptop but havent used it yet.

It wasnt a cable it was a just a convertor. I think it was damaged. When i plugged it in it didnt work then i tried it on another computer and didnt work but i got a smell of burning. i had to replace the ports on both computers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭DDigital

Ive used a Smartdisk converter in the past on a lap top with no firewire.

You plug it into the USB port and the box has RCA and S-Video inputs to connect up to your camera. PC World have them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jhonywillsh

I am using camcorder with USB port and it is also access rightly without fire wire.In future can i face technical effect by using my PC.

Have you used this cable yet? have you got a link where to buy it?

I know this is a really old threadd but looking for thius item again

• Advertisement

I looked on ebay and found them, however a lot of people are saying they wont work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭ciencin

You cant transfer video via usb (from dv / miniDv tapes anyway).
    There are lots of usb to dv adapters but majority of them dont work when trying to transfer tapes.

get a firewire card on amazon or ebay, they're around €15-20 and work without problems

ciencin wrote: »
    You cant transfer video via usb (from dv / miniDv tapes anyway).
    There are lots of usb to dv adapters but majority of them dont work when trying to transfer tapes.

get a firewire card on amazon or ebay, they're around €15-20 and work without problems

i dont think it can be expanded in this way its an EasyNote TJ68

Specs here

http://support.packardbell.com/uk/item/index.php?i=platform_sjv50_mv2w&g=1400

Advertisement