Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ford Escape 4x2 in ski resort

Options
  • 04-01-2010 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Couldnt find anything on this topic before and looking for some advice in relation to the abve vehicle (Mods: I have posted this in Winter Sorts also coz I think the viewers of each might be able to offer me some assistance).

I am going skiing in the US this year in a place called Brian Head a few hrs north of Vegas. While the Highway that goes throughthe resort (11000 feet) is ploughed and gritted, the resort advises having either 4wd or snowchains. I suspect that they would rarely be needed but, as I am renting something from Vegas anyway, I gigure I should go with a 4WD just in case.

So here is my difficulty: the Ford Escape 4x2 is consistently coming up quite a bit cheaper than other 4WDs. Can anyone tell me whether this vehicle is 'just as good' as a regular 4WD or if its performance in adverse conditions is way off what might be needed.

Im a 4WD ignoramus so would appreciate any assistance. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

4X2 means rear wheel drive. It'll give you the same ground clearance as a proper 4X4 but not the traction needed to get through snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Go for the 4wd.

If you dont have it, and there is snow on the roads, you will be forced to put on snow chains or be turned around.

There is a STRONG chance that you will be stopped. There are Nevada Highway Patrol untis stationed at all of the mountain passes in winter to check for this.

However, there are usually guys there who will install the chains on your vehicle and set you on your way for about $50 or so.

What I would be afraid of is that a chain can come loose, ruin the fender, which will mean you will have to pay the care rental company. This damage may not be covered by your rental policy.

Long story short - get the 4wd.

I lived in California for 12 years, and went snoboarding every winter. The 4x4 is quite necessary in the resort areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

surely there are cheap 4WD options available? carhire3000 have cheap ones (€250 a week Grand Cherokee)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Depends what you consider cheap!

Looking for 4 days rental. Coming out at about €130 for Ford Escape or €170 for a Chevy Blazer (which is 4WD afaik). I lkie the Blazer, so what the hell, I'll splash out!

Advertisement