Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The tattoo process - advice please

Options
  • 04-01-2010 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

OK, I'm a guy living in Galway and looking to get my first tattoo. I know what i want and from reading the well informed advice on this forum I was going to go to Dublin to get it done in Snakebite or one of the other highly recommended parlours.

My main concern is this, as it's something specific and due to my lack of artistic ability how do I go about getting a sketch done up for it? Does it require me going to Dublin, talking them through what I'm looking for heading back to Galway etc. or is it a fairly quick process between sketching and full design that can be done in one day?

I was thinking of black & whites / sepia colours on my upper arm if this makes any difference.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

You're best bet would be to give them a call and then start emailing the artist about the design itself. He can email you back sketches and when you're happy arrange a day to drop in and get it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

You'd wanna come across as fairly sincere, I wouldnt think an artist would be so willing to start sketching up a load of stuff for a customer from across the country, who as of yet, hasnt set foot in the studio or even so much as given a "yeah Ill DEFO be payin ya at the end of all this,"

Whats wrong with the tattoo studios in Galways that you wanna come all the way to Dublin to have work done?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

OK, I'm a guy living in Galway and looking to get my first tattoo. I know what i want and from reading the well informed advice on this forum I was going to go to Dublin to get it done in Snakebite or one of the other highly recommended parlours.

My main concern is this, as it's something specific and due to my lack of artistic ability how do I go about getting a sketch done up for it? Does it require me going to Dublin, talking them through what I'm looking for heading back to Galway etc. or is it a fairly quick process between sketching and full design that can be done in one day?

I was thinking of black & whites / sepia colours on my upper arm if this makes any difference.

If you can draw up a rough representation of what you want tattooed on you then it'd give the artist a great point of reference from which to design your tattoo, especially if you give them a description of what you want too. Unfortunately, most artists will want you to have paid a deposit before they draw anything up, so they know they're not wasting their time.

To be honest, id really doubt you'd get a same-day tattoo, unless you're willing to trust the artist to freehand the design onto you.

And Tangy lots of people travel further to get work done by their artists of choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 lolwut

Well i was wondering the same question as you a few days as you so I'll tell you what i did

I rang up snakebite last week just to enquire , i was guesstimated a price for the basic gist i wanted and was told to ring back when rob was there since he'd more or likely be doing the tattoo. I rang yesterday and talked to rob (really nice fella btw) and he told me to print out all the designs i wanted in the tattoo and head up to him.I'm in Athlone so its a fair bit of a trek. Going to head up to him tomorrow and see what he can do. Although i never asked about emails because I'd much rather do it in person and I'd recommend on a personal level just to go up and do it in person if you can.

Tangy lots of people travel further to get work done by their artists of choice.
    I know that man, but as far as we know, the OP hasnt even given the studios in his immediate vicinity a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I know that man, but as far as we know, the OP hasnt even given the studios in his immediate vicinity a chance.

We know this how?

We don't know that he hasn't considered them and ruled them out either.

I Suppose, yeah.

OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

I went to Kilkenny to get mine done and I spent 2 hours with the guy that day while he designed it and then got it done on the same day. If you know what you want and just need him to put it on paper then I see no reason why you couldn't get it designed and done on the same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Dr. Greenthumb

Whats wrong with the tattoo studios in Galways that you wanna come all the way to Dublin to have work done?

I've been around to most of them and had a look but I want to go somewhere that has a proven track record rather than a unknown artist. Some people on here have been praising one of the Galway shops but a personal friend told me to steer clear.

Going back through old threads Snakebite and Wildcat seem to be some of the most respected shops.

Advertisement