Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time Skiing.. need help.

Options
  • 04-01-2010 5:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

I am hoping to bring the family skiing sometime in April. I've never been so I dont know where to start. Heard a bit about Livigno, supposed to be great for Kids (I have 3 under 6).. can any body give me some pointers or even share experiences etc...:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Gone Fishin

Livigno is great but its a 3 hour flight to Malpensa and then over 5 hours on a bus to Livigno, not the best idea if you are bringing kids. I'm a major fan of Austria, mainly because the the flight is little over 2 hours and the transfer to just about anywhere in Austria is 2 hours maximum. There are many great places to go in Austria but the best I have ever come across is St. Johann in Tirol. Its brilliant, a small enough resort but they have a fantastic ski school for kids called Bobo's (he's a big penguin) and they bring the kids off every morning and back in the afternoon. They have their own area. They also put on a great show once a week. The only issue may be in April, the snow might be melting. Its not the highest resort but if you had snow, it would definitely be worth considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

. The only issue may be in April, the snow might be melting. .

+1
    is april not a bit late for a snow trip?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

ShayK1 wrote: »
    +1

Depends how high you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

ShayK1 wrote: »
    +1

Depends on the resort - if it's high enough, should be fine.

I've skied in Obertauern (1740 meters), Austria, during the second week of April and there was still plenty of snow. Was warm though - so by the afternoons, the snow on the lower slopes was slushy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Pixsar

Thanks Folks, Gone Fishin thats exactly the Kind of feedback I was hoping to get, I was checking out some brochures etc and a 5 hour trek to the resort does not sound pretty.. I am gonna check out St. Johann in Tirol. Its not set in stone to go in April in fact I could even leave it till next season.. again thanks for the feedback folks I'll keep you posted when I decide....:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I'd say St Johann is defo too low for April skiing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,852 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

We went to Livignio; family of four; for our first ever ski experience afew years ago. The transfer from MIlan AP was 5-6 hours and was a shocker, but no worse than a long distance flight. The spectacular scenery along the transfer route was terrific compensation for the adults and the kids had colouring books and electronic games to amuse themselves with.

Livignio itself was great. Very reasonable prices, thanks to it's duty free status. The instructors were very good with the kids. I think instructors in Italy are very good with the kids generally.

Because Livignio is cheap, I suspect it does tend to attract yoofs a bit more than other resorts, and they then don't keep family friendly hours or behave in away considerate to those wishing to sleep.

We had an absolutely fantastic time in Livignio, but in hindsight, I would seek accommodation that is slightly off the main drag and not on the ground floor next time.

If you wan't some thoughts on clothing, let us know.

Don't put off a ski holiday till another season, you might regret it, as in why-oh-why didn't we go years ago.

We are off again come Saturday - can't wait.

Advertisement