Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Wine Institute

Options
  • 04-01-2010 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hiyas, can anyone tell us what's happening with the Irish Wine Institute ? The website's been down for at least a few weeks now. Thankee. :confused:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bshaw

I would love to know as well!! I paid €425 last September for a course that never materialised. Despite numberous phones calls, emails etc i still have not received a refund.
    I would be very interested to hear if anyone else has had the same experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 winefan

Sorry to hear that. It's quite a lot for a wine course. It looks like the price of a WSET course. I believe the person behind the IWI is <snip - Mr Magnolia>, so I hear.:(
    This problem didn't happen with The Wine Board when it was around. There are now too many orgs offering WSET courses.

The WSET is based in London (www.wset.co.uk) and, for anyone who is owed money by Ms. Steadman, I'd contact them and let them know what's going on here. I don't know if they'll help out but they are
    a reputable organisation.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 desk1

Hi bshaw,

I used to work for the Wine Board of Ireland. I am running a WSET Intermediate course in Dun Laoghaire. The first class was last night. You are welcome to join my class as I have an extra set of course material and you will only have to pay for your exam which would be €50. If you are interested you can email me at des@dublinwineacademy.com

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Folks, please don't post the personal details of an individual here. Also, be careful what you post in regard to allegations about a company or a website.

corkdork, I'm sending you a PM now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bshaw

Des, i would really appreciate that, I'll sent you an email. Thanks so much.

Also WineFan, thanks for the info. I'll follow that up.

• Advertisement

Hi bshaw,

I will check my mail tonight and send you on details, times etc

According to the WSET in London the Irish Wine Institute have had their APP suspended http://www.wsetglobal.com/where_to_study/default.asp?rid=51

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Wine_Guy

desk1 wrote: »
    According to the WSET in London the Irish Wine Institute have had their APP suspended http://www.wsetglobal.com/where_to_study/default.asp?rid=51

Not looking good...

http://dermotswineblog.blogspot.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Berwick

I have heard that there is Irish wine.

Can anyone tell me something about it? :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

and there's a tasting video on robertfranciswine.ie

Berwick wrote: »
    I have heard that there is Irish wine.

Can anyone tell me something about it? :)

I read somewhere of John Wilson trying a sauvingnon blanc made in Lusk, Co. Dublin...He spoke very welll of the wine, so its a shame to see some bad reds making it in cork, especially not vitus vinifera vines. If we are to have a wine growing culture i reckon it will be more in line with what the english are doing and using eastern european varieties that can handle our coool climate

• Registered Users Posts: 46 sourgrapes

I believe the Amurensis Walk is no longer being made, vines were ripped up to be replaced with apples - for calvados - an apple brandy.

Llewellyn is still making wine in Lusk. In episode 4 of The Wine Geese, Tomas Clancy is out in the Lusk appellation talking about the north Dublin terroir. http://www.rte.ie/lyricfm/features/1286828.html

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭MattKane

bshaw wrote: »
    I would love to know as well!! I paid €425 last September for a course that never materialised. Despite numberous phones calls, emails etc i still have not received a refund.
    I would be very interested to hear if anyone else has had the same experience.

Check out Dermot Nolan's (MW) wine blog on the issue. Apparently she's done a runner. Good luck with getting your money back!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Berwick

Wine_Guy wrote: »

... i reckon it will be more in line with what the english are doing and using eastern european varieties that can handle our coool climate

In England I have found many grape varieties with German names.

Do they exist in Ireland also?

Berwick wrote: »
    In England I have found many grape varieties with German names.

Do they exist in Ireland also?

Not yet, but as soon as the capital and time is invested i can see sylvaner, muller thurgeau and other such varietals tested and hopefully succesful. There is some work being carried out in cork, but its the guy in Lusk that seems to be on the better track. Thiese operations will need large capital expenditure so for now, its unlikely that we'll see much growth in the next 2-3 years

I spoke to John Townley from WSET today and he seemed to think that the IWI was mentioned in one of yesterday's papers, he did not know which one though. Anybody come across this at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭AstralTV

i want to do the intermediate wine course but cannot find anything. willing to do it distance learning or full day lessons so i can fit it in with my job can anyone help.

AstralTV wrote: »
    i want to do the intermediate wine course but cannot find anything. willing to do it distance learning or full day lessons so i can fit it in with my job can anyone help.

The approved course providers are here
    you can find info on distace learning here

hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭AstralTV

Many thanks for your help,

• Advertisement

winefan wrote: »
    Hiyas, can anyone tell us what's happening with the Irish Wine Institute ? The website's been down for at least a few weeks now. Thankee. :confused:

I think the woman in charge of the iwi has finally given up on the project, she is selling off all student packs to other course providers, reported here by Dermot Nolan proves that this is the end of any hope anybody had of the suspended APP being lifted, for anyone who has lost their money i strongly advise to contact JTownley(at)wset.co.uk to see how they are dealing with this..

Advertisement