Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something's in the air

Options
  • 04-01-2010 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

Hello all,

Thought Id bite the bullet and attempt to write a training log for the New Year to keep track of my progress and training towards completing my first marathon this year.

Anyway, here's some background on me:

About Me:

Height: 5' 8"
    Weight: 76kgs

Running History:

nil races. Been running for approx 1.5 years as nothing more than a hobby and way to keep fit. Typically run about 6 km (roads) when I go out for a run (~28mins)

Aims for 2010
    • Shed off all the excess weight Ive put on over past few weeks (hope for ~70kg)... am off the drink and junk food for the rest of the month to speed things up
    • Might go for Raheny 5 mile just to experience a race atmosphere (at a comfortable pace)
    • Run a 10k in less than 45 mins
    • Dublin Marathon 2010

Anyway, I was hoping to start training properly today but of course Ive been struck down with a bit of a flu so dont want to take teh risk of making it worse. Managed to get 6km in yesterday though but that was my first run since Xmas due to the road conditions etc.

I hope to make a concrete training plan to help keep me focused, and I look forward to reading through some of your logs for hints etc for making a plan.

Well, thanks for stopping by, and hopefully Ill have an update for you soon!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Best of luck with the log and goals for 2010!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 vistastar

Hey,
    well done and the best of luck with your goal.
    There are a series of runs around wicklow called fit for life .
    they are monthly runs of different distance and difficulties, most dont go over 8km.
    http://www.athleticsireland.ie/content/?p=5583
    good for meeting runners and also a nice focus each month.
    I would also do as many of the many road races as you can, nothing like a bit of competition to keep the motivation up
    hope it goes well

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭RunningFlyer

Thanks for the info vistastar, Ill definitely look into it!

Sorry I havent posted an update here yet, but finally got running again today after coming down with a bad cold that kept me out for a few days, and the snow etc which prevented me from running yesterday.

Anyway, today the weather forced me to the gym, where I jumped on the treadmill and ran 9.2km in 45 mins. Pretty happy considering I hadnt run a lot since before Xmas and I know after a few more runs Ill be able to get the 10km in less than 45.

Looks like it'll be gym logs for at least the next week anyway because of the weather.. I nearly killed myself walking down to the gym on all the ice!

Ive made a small training plan for the next 2 weeks as a trial to see if I can follow it... Ive fallen behind this week already so going to have to review it a bit, but Im also thinking of doing the Raheny 5 at the end of the month so am kind of gearing my training towards that... Ill see if I can upload it here soon.

Cheers for reading!

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭RunningFlyer

Sorry Ive been a bit slow updating my log...

08/01/10 - 3.2 kms in 15 mins .. pretty easy pace
    11/01/10 - 6.4 kms in 30 mins
    12/01/10 - 6.5 kms in 30 mins .. not a huge improvement on the day before
    14/01/10 - 5 km in 22 mins .. fast pace, happy enough!

Gradually getting back on form and shedding a few pounds!

Advertisement