Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you follow up St. Anton?

Options
  • 04-01-2010 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

I'm booking a group holiday for end of Feb to Austria but we've been to St. Anton for the last 2 years and while we will miss the place we need to see somewhere else...

Solden looks to be the frontrunner (DIY trip rather than package) but I'd be interested to hear what people have to say here on any other resorts??

Requirements are powder and apres ski...we're a simple bunch really :D:D

Seriously though, we have a thing for Austria and its a mix of skiers and boarders across all abilities.

Thanks,
    Willy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Ischgl, Zell am See, Kitzbuhel & Saalbach are all good for skiing + apres ski. I think Ischgl might have been the liveliest, but we only go during the second week in Jan, so I'd say any time other than this - they'd all be hopping!

We also have a thing for Austria!

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭WillyWonka

olaola wrote: »
    Ischgl, Zell am See, Kitzbuhel & Saalbach are all good for skiing + apres ski. I think Ischgl might have been the liveliest, but we only go during the second week in Jan, so I'd say any time other than this - they'd all be hopping!

We also have a thing for Austria!
    The real problem is finding a ski area/off piste heaven that's as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭mal_1

I asked a similar question on a different forum yesterday. As to an alternative to St Anton. Love the place

Can vouch for both Ishgl and Kitzbuhel. Great challenges with endless piste & apres.

Have been advised on Solden also and maybe Laax in Swis.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭potsy11

Not so sure about the apres it depends on what town you stay in but i've been on 5 ski trips now and my favourite is the Dolimites. Stayed in Val di Fassa. There is an amazing circuit you can do called the 'sella ronda'. You have to leave early and you get back just in time for the apres. You pass through 4 towns on the way. I think Arabatta was the lively one and if you are doing a DIY this is the town to stay in.

Italy all the way for value too.....

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Gone Fishin

Lads, I've a thing for Austria too, mainly because of the short flight and transfer times. I'm going to St. Anton this year for the first time but I've been to lots of other places in Austria too - St. Johann (beginners only), Saalbach and Hinterglemm (great all round resort, hell of a lot of skiing, would go back), Kitzbuhel (absolutely brilliant all round resort, would go back), Soll (great if you get the snow), Ischgl (great skiing, all right apres ski), Vermoos (just alright), Zell Am Zee (good skiing and apres). We mostly do DIY trips now. This year we are flying to Zurich and then doing the 2 hour drive to St. Anton, we have our apartments and everything else sorted. Any tips for St. Anton? Bars?

• Advertisement

Gone_Fishin if you're in St. Anton then you'll hit the hole area, Lech is worth the taxi ride over for a day or so. Sonnenkopf, (is that's how it's spelt?), Rendl...all good. There's loads of off piste trails. In or around the village can be a little tricky if there's little snow if like me you're a so so boarder as it can get icy and whoever marked some of the pistes was clearly pi**ed.

Pubs are cool there. You have to hit the Krazy Kangaruh and Mooserwirt, they are craaazy on piste apres ski bars, where you have to board/ski down to the town in the dark afterwards.

I miss it already...

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Poster King

Lads, I've a thing for Austria too, mainly because of the short flight and transfer times. I'm going to St. Anton this year for the first time but I've been to lots of other places in Austria too - St. Johann (beginners only), Saalbach and Hinterglemm (great all round resort, hell of a lot of skiing, would go back), Kitzbuhel (absolutely brilliant all round resort, would go back), Soll (great if you get the snow), Ischgl (great skiing, all right apres ski), Vermoos (just alright), Zell Am Zee (good skiing and apres). We mostly do DIY trips now. This year we are flying to Zurich and then doing the 2 hour drive to St. Anton, we have our apartments and everything else sorted. Any tips for St. Anton? Bars?

There is a whole thread already on St Anton, have a look for it, loads of info and ski and apres ski. I say go for the Mooserwirt over Krazy Kanguru. Both are great craic, but the former is real Austrian Apres Ski.

So (slightly) back on topic...does anyone recommend anywhere to stay in Solden?
    Luxury not required. just close to lifts and town, but affordable.

I have some options but if there any recommendations that would be great.

Willy

Advertisement