Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

managerial job; any tips

Options
  • 04-01-2010 1:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

hiya folks, just trying to sort out my life. Im moving to London in a year or so to be with my will be husband. Im a teacher now but would be interested in getting a managing job (not in a hotel) as teaching is suppose to be the pits in england. any ideas on how to get into it, is there a course I could get into now to help me along my way?
    I have a summer that I could go working as experience.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭qwytre

Management of people is a big change to working on your own or working as a teacher in your case. Be careful of not falling into the trap of dealing with people in a management job as you would with students\children.

I would recommend you get some training on management. It will be hard for you to move from teaching into a management job in any other sector as there will be many more qualified people with relevant experience going for the same jobs as you. Good luck though.

When you say a "managing job", what kind of jobs do you mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 imeldacork

I wouldn't like to go into anything that I'm not trained for. I would love to do training for it. I was thinking along the lines of retail

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

My sister's currently doing teaching placement in East London and despite initially imagining that she'd be teaching a bunch of brats of Eastenders, she absolutely loved it - it seems there's a big difference between even different schools in the same area - maybe you could use the league tables to target some of the better schools in the area you'll be moving to?

3 months experience in retail is unlikely to get you a management position anywhere and the role is so different from what you're used to that you'd really be facing an uphill struggle. Everything you've been taught and all your experience is actually working against you as the general impression would be that it's set you up to be an awful manager to work for (i.e. you'll treat everyone like children). I'm not suggesting that this will be the case in your case, but it's something I'd be aware of if I was looking at a teacher's CV when hiring a manager.

You could always look at the likes of the LIDL / ALDI Graduate Management Programs but search this forum first - it's an extremely tough way of getting into the profession!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Honestly going from teaching to retail is really a bit of a jump. Having to deal with customers and extreme target based KPIs would be very different let alone the long hours. Think 8 to 6, 5/6 days a week, bank holidays, 3 days Christmas holidays, if you have enough staff. Also you may not be able to travel home at the same time as your partner if you work in the service industry.

I really think you went into teaching for a reason and should stick to those lines until you get a better feel for the new country. It will be un-nerving enough in a new country without feeling useless in a new job too.

What about research, teaching adult education, literacy classes with a charity etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 imeldacork

cheers everyone for your input...food for thought

• Advertisement
Advertisement