Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stand up and new blasphemy laws

Options
  • 04-01-2010 6:02am

As a few people on here know I recently returned to comedy with a set supporting Dave McSavage in Galway . Going over my material for a gig in the coming weeks it scudded dawned on me that a portion of my routine can now be deemed illegal due to the blasphemy laws coming into effect in recent weeks.

I'm sure I'm not the only one and as I have no intention of changing my routine was wondering what peoples views are on the subject of comedy and the new laws.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

Well it could be seen to have artistic value which means you are not breaking the law

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I came up with the same problem a couple of weeks ago when writing a new routine... I eventually decided to leave out the blasphemous content, but only because I wanted to replace it with funnier material... The new laws are stupid and I can't see them being enforced to be honest...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Dj Stiggie wrote: »
    Well it could be seen to have artistic value which means you are not breaking the law

this!

stick with what you know, dont let "the man" tell you what to do and say....or something!

nah you'll be fine, most comedians wrote new material as a result of the blasphemy law!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

I'd say carry on with whatever material you think is funny. If they try and procecute everyone who says/writes something considered blasphemous, the gaols will be full by 31 January.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

As a comic it's your duty to say what needs to be said - in a funny way :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Gross Halfwit

Dont change a G*d damnded thing, mate.

They should only prosecute people if they intentionally set out to incite religious/racial hatred.

In have a few religious jokes that I would not hesitate to say in front of the pope. God gave you free will ... use it! this ridiculous law flies in the face of free will. Religion is so laughable. We no longer need it cos we know what the sun is now!

It doesnt say in the law that it has to be a christian God ... just religion. Catholicism & ... say Islam both worship a different God. Each purports that THEY are right & THEY are the one true religion which means that one does not believe in the other right? Not believing in a certain God, quite publicly ie; in mass, publications, TV ... should fall under the blasphemy law.

The 1st commandment:
    "I am the Lord your god you shall not have strange Gods before me."

Surely, this holds all other religions in contempt ... ANYONE who publishes this in writing or on TV should be found guilty of blaspheming other religions ... right? We have the Angelus & Sunday Mass on RTE ... someone's gonna cotton on to this & say that RTE is being religiously biased & by not giving ... eh, ALLAH for example, a primetime slot then they are not holding him in as high regard as the christian god & therefore not as powerful & therefore defaming his omnipotence & in short debunking the Islamic faith. Before long we'll be enjoying the Call To Prayer just after the Angelus!

This law is completely unenforcable unless you're Hitler suggesting we march upon the nearest synagogue I doubt they are gonna try & burn you or any of us comics at the stake ... That took me ages!

Skiddoosh!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

i know what kevin bloody wilson would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

The new laws are stupid and I can't see them being enforced to be honest...

True. Also, who would go to the trouble of complaining, and how would they prove what a comic said? It's not like there is a requirement for venues to record gigs in case of defamation, and you're far more likely to get in trouble for defamation than blasphemy in this country.

Whats Tommy Teirnan gonna do when he's on the Late late next?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

samhail wrote: »
    i know what kevin bloody wilson would say.

"first you cant say c*nt in Canada....and now this?!?! stuth"

or...........something!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

at least :)

i was more thinking of dilligaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

It doesnt say in the law that it has to be a christian God ... just religion. Catholicism & ... say Islam both worship a different God. Each purports that THEY are right & THEY are the one true religion which means that one does not believe in the other right? Not believing in a certain God, quite publicly ie; in mass, publications, TV ... should fall under the blasphemy law.

The 1st commandment:
    "I am the Lord your god you shall not have strange Gods before me."

Surely, this holds all other religions in contempt ... ANYONE who publishes this in writing or on TV should be found guilty of blaspheming other religions ... right? We have the Angelus & Sunday Mass on RTE ... someone's gonna cotton on to this & say that RTE is being religiously biased & by not giving ... eh, ALLAH for example, a primetime slot then they are not holding him in as high regard as the christian god & therefore not as powerful & therefore defaming his omnipotence & in short debunking the Islamic faith. Before long we'll be enjoying the Call To Prayer just after the Angelus!

Thats a a brilliant point, if you ask a christian if they believe in Buddha, and they go "the portly cheerful chap, pfft no!" then you can easily say to them "right i'm bringing you up on a blasphemy charge God boy!" only in Ireland would we have an unenforcable law that nobody can be charged with even if they tried

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

The greatest thing that could happen to you would be that you would be charged and have you face plastered across every newspaper in the country.

You couldn't buy publicity like that.

Unless you are Tiger Woods (at the moment)....there really isn't such a thing as bad publicity.

Advertisement