Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History of Art/Italian anyone studying either??

Options
  • 04-01-2010 3:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hi all, I'm hoping to get accepted to Trinity for September, as a mature student;). I want to study HA and Italian. Can anyone offer me any help on what the timetable is like and the courses in general?. I think i'm just wondering really what a typical week would be like?.:confused:
    What are the staff like etc, is it late evenings early mornings?. I'm going to have a long commute each day, so I need to research every avenue before I commit..
    Thank you..:)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

You should ring the department (Get their number online) and enquire directly. They're usually quite friendly in the admin offices and will help you out with a basic question like this (If the timetable isn't already up on the website, that is)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 jetaime

Italian is a great language to study, I'd advise you to go for it! It's easy enough to pick up from the start although the course is quite intensive on the grammar side, but if you manage your work fairly sensibly and learn as you go along you should be grand. Also, the Italian department are a lovely bunch - incredibly friendly and helpful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

I know of one or two doing it. Em, it's not an uncommon subject choice at all.

I can only imagine the hours are your typical arts students 10-12 hours max a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭ismiseuisce

I am in third year Italian (TSM Spanish and Italian to be exact), the Italian is hard going to be honest, but you do get out what you put in. The classes are small, and language classes especially have very few people in them to optimise learning and participation which is helpful. If you study a language in Trinity you must spend two months in the country of that language - a mandatory holiday- expensive but fun! The department has no classes on a Friday and they have a fantastic secretary - Mary Keating. As for History of Art, it is a popular choice with the Italian students and I think 3 or 4 of the 17 or so students in my class take the History of Art and Italian TSM combination and seem to like them together. I hope this helps!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Ell69 wrote: »
    I'm going to have a long commute each day, so I need to research every avenue before I commit..
    I know this isnt answering your question but, are you planning to commute from Tipperary to Dublin every day? That will get very tiring, very quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

Im in final year History of Art and its a great course-only about 6 hours a week class time, but you do need to do a considerable amount of work outside of this if ya wanna have a clue what going on in class. Something i only copped on to halfway through but would be well worth doing from the start :) I wish I did Italian with it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Ell69

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply.
    I e-mailed the mature student officer and she was vague about information, basically what she said was ''its on the website''.
    Anyway I didnt realise about the two months travel abroad. Ive just changed my CAO application to include History/History of Art as I don't think I'd manage to afford two months away.
    I mainly want to study History of Art and I cant seem to figure out from the website if it's possible to study this as a single subject. Does anyone know?
    I will be commuting from Tipperary everyday, but have done it now for the past year on my present course, one hours drive away. I will take the train as I live beside the train station and trains home are every hour or so in the evenings. Its an hour on the train. Easier than what I'm doing at the moment. Just a long walk from Heuston to Trinity but I'm sure I'll figure out the buses fairly quickly. Dont think the Luas goes that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply.
    I e-mailed the mature student officer and she was vague about information, basically what she said was ''its on the website''.
    Anyway I didnt realise about the two months travel abroad. Ive just changed my CAO application to include History/History of Art as I don't think I'd manage to afford two months away.
    I mainly want to study History of Art and I cant seem to figure out from the website if it's possible to study this as a single subject. Does anyone know?
    I will be commuting from Tipperary everyday, but have done it now for the past year on my present course, one hours drive away. I will take the train as I live beside the train station and trains home are every hour or so in the evenings. Its an hour on the train. Easier than what I'm doing at the moment. Just a long walk from Heuston to Trinity but I'm sure I'll figure out the buses fairly quickly. Dont think the Luas goes that way.

Bear in mind, the 2 month residency requirement doesn't have to be done altogether. You could decide to do a few weeks, or a month one year, and then the rest the other year. So it gives you time to save money. Also you could consider trying to find an au pair job in Italy (so you would be earning and learning at the same time). English language teaching would be good as well. After each time you go you show the department proof of your time in Italy ie. plane ticket. pay slips, etc.
    IMHO I would think twice before choosing a subject like History. If you like it and love reading about it it's good. But there is a workload, and you need to be dedicated (if you want to do well). I'm mostly saying this, as I'm talking from experience. I'm not sure if you can study History of Art on it's own, all I know is it's a TSM subject so it's done with another.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Ell69

Thanks djcervi for the info on Italian. I'm sure I could afford to go for a few weeks each year.
    History does seem fairly intense, but looking on the tsm list I can't see any other options that I'd like . Italian always appealed to me.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

Thanks djcervi for the info on Italian. I'm sure I could afford to go for a few weeks each year.
    History does seem fairly intense, but looking on the tsm list I can't see any other options that I'd like . Italian always appealed to me.:)

Just another note as well. In TSM you study both subjects for three years, and then you only study one in 4th year. Therefore you qualify for one of your degrees by taking your final exams in 3rd year. So if you are taking History of Art in 4th year, you are finishing Italian with your final exams in Italian in 3rd year. So you would be expected to have done your 2 month residency before the moderatorship exam in Italian in 3rd year, if you plan to finish it then and there. Just for your information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

One of my friends did bits of both and he absolutely loved them.

Lecture hours weren't much at all, probably no more than a dozen a week, but a fair bit of study was required. Then again, he's a bit of a perfectionist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 sambongo

Hello, I found some of the Italian stuff on this thread very useful. I am hoping to study Italian and German next September. I have loads of questions that I've love to post only I don't know how to start a new thread. Sorry to butt in here... Can someone please tell me how to start a new one?!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

sambongo wrote: »
    Hello, I found some of the Italian stuff on this thread very useful. I am hoping to study Italian and German next September. I have loads of questions that I've love to post only I don't know how to start a new thread. Sorry to butt in here... Can someone please tell me how to start a new one?!
    Hi and welcome.

If you browse back out to the forum, you should find a button like this newthread.gif

You can actually just click that new thread button above now if you like, clicking it will start a new thread for you.

Any trouble, give me a shout.

Advertisement