Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skiing in February

Options
  • 04-01-2010 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have advice on a good place for beginner skiers on a budget in February for a week? We are a couple aged mid 20's upwards, somewhere that's also good craic and has it all basically! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Trevor O

Myself and the buddies are going back to Soll in Austria for a third year on the 20th Feb. Good ski-school, good runs (even better with the snow thats been coming down the last few weeks! :)), good night-life (Not a massive selection but the main pubs are great craic!). Went with a package holiday the first year and it cost us 1200 Euros a head. Booked on our own last year (and this year) and it's costing about 800 Euros each. (Half-board). :D

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Anytime from this weekend until March you are running into school hols for the whole of Europe. For most resorts you are looking at the busiest time for lift queues and ski school.

I would avoid France around 27th Feb as its Paris school hols and it will be very busy in lots of resorts.

If I were you I would look at the smaller resorts. Have you any preference for any country?

In fact I would wait until beginning of March. I got a deal in a B+B with a full Ski amade lift pass for a week in Hochkoenig for €299. Fly to Salzburg and hop on the train to Bischofshofen (approx €20 return) then go to either Muhlbach, Dienten or Maria Alm (Saalfelden station for Maria Alm).

Have a look at www.skiamade.at for details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

hug0 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Does anyone have advice on a good place for beginner skiers on a budget in February for a week? We are a couple aged mid 20's upwards, somewhere that's also good craic and has it all basically! :)

If you've never been before going the package route might be a good idea. Event still there might be some nice last minute deals out there to the likes of Andorra or Livignio or other typical beginner places. Your best bet is to see what places are on offer and use the internet to see if the resorts suit your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

Avoid France full stop given there record in piste gradings. Ski school from experience can be poor too.

Soll and Sauze d'Oulx are excellent, short transfer and good crack at night.
    Soldeu is great too but 3.5 hour transfer.
    Livigno again is great but transfer is a killer 4 plus hours last time I went (could be more but it's that long since I went).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

I'm very fond of a place called Val Cenis. Good skiing, but not so big that you'd get lost, and not full of morons who think they should be in the Olympics. We stay in a place where they provide all meals (unlimited wine with lunch and dinner), lift pass, entertainment, cheap bar etc. Check out www.cis-valcenis.com

Val Cenis has the longest green run in Europe. It's a feet-together slide that anyone could do, no matter how timid or tired, so you can always get back home in one piece.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Heading to Bansko this year for the first week of march.

The accomodation is usually very cheap (although we have an apartment there), and hire is quite cheap too.
    The snow is supposed to be great there at the moment too, which is good as it can be a bit unpredictable

Advertisement