Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alarm + Heating Text message/ Internet

Options
  • 03-01-2010 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

hi all,

Wonder can anyone point me in the right direction.
    Start a new build in a few weeks, while home automation appeals to a techie like me i don't want to go OTT.

So requirements:

Alarmsystem + Front Gate:
    Ideaily would like to open front gates via mobile phone + remote (rfid)
    Would be nice if I could answer the gate/front door on mobile phone too.

Heating system:
    Ability to switch on/off/boost the heating remotly via phone (maybe internet)

I'm hopping it's possible to have only one SIM card @ house. (if text message, otherwise some device connected to eircom phone line at house)

Ideas anyone?
    Post edited by 2011 on
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭youtheman

I'm thinking of a similar device to text me when my alarm is activated, and also allow me turn on my heating via SMS. I've 'narrowed' my search down to this crowd:
    http://www.sendtech.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭altor

You could use a G-SMART.
    You can get it in borsatec, they cost about €265 plus vat.

G-smart can function to remote connection/disconnection.
    Relays 2-8 can be connected to any electrical device.
    This means that by sms the user can operate electrical devices remotely, receiving back through sms the confirmation of the correct connection/disconnection.
    It can be used on lights, central heating (temperature control) and alarms

Hope this helps..

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭brianbruff

Thanks for the pointers, I'll look into them tonight,

best regards,
    Brian.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

I'm going to sound like a broken record here but the Europlex Signet will do most of this for you.
    A panasonic pbx will do the gate to mobile part for you

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

+1 The SigNet 220 with web server& gsm dialler.
    Gates & heating can bet sut up as X10 devices with remote access via internet or text command. You can also control via calanders & cause & effect.
    Way superior to any standalone X10 controllers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Curtis E Bear

Hi folks,

just wondering, what is the recomended/prefered way to wire ineirtia sensors DEOLor SEOL resistors? Also anti masking pir or just standard as per pir wiring diagram?

I also have a little problem in that my house is wired for a pir in the hall and that is looking directly at the front door and i was wondering if i set the gross high enough would that prevent letters/newspaper coming in through the letterbox from setting it off? Also when I come in would I set it off straight away before I get time to input the disarm code?

thanks in anvance,

Curtis.

Sorry Brianbruff,

didnt mean to high jack your thread. i though i was on the alarm thread page. i am not to sure how to move this to the correct page or just re post it, sorry mods,

appoligies again,

Curtis E Bear :o

Hi folks,

just wondering, what is the recomended/prefered way to wire ineirtia sensors DEOLor SEOL resistors? Also anti masking pir or just standard as per pir wiring diagram?

I also have a little problem in that my house is wired for a pir in the hall and that is looking directly at the front door and i was wondering if i set the gross high enough would that prevent letters/newspaper coming in through the letterbox from setting it off? Also when I come in would I set it off straight away before I get time to input the disarm code?

thanks in anvance,

Curtis.

Hi Curtis E Bear,

Either way is fine to use, but dual is what i would use. Standard pir wiring. The pir can be faced away from the letter box if it was activating this way. The pir is installed as a access zone which means when you open the front door your entry/exit timer starts allowing you to walk in front of the beam for the entry/exit time without setting off the alarm. You dont use gross and pulse settings on a pir.

Hi Altor,

thanks for your very quick reply. I will go with your advice but on my pir (honeywell activ 8 quad element) it has a pulse jumper for 3 different settings. Should I leave it at its most sensitive for the my situation?

thanks again,

Curtis

Hi Altor,

thanks for your very quick reply. I will go with your advice but on my pir (honeywell activ 8 quad element) it has a pulse jumper for 3 different settings. Should I leave it at its most sensitive for the my situation?

thanks again,

Curtis

I thought you where setting the gross and pulse on the zone :rolleyes: That is a setting for the Variable pulse width and PIR sensitivity adjustments. You should leave it as is unless you have any problems with it..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Single pulse is fine for most applications. If you are having problems it can be adjusted after

Thanks altor,

I probably should have been more specific, thanks for that.

On another note, on the signet alarm panel is there no zone specific tamper terminals if i were to wire in zone and tamper circuits seperatly. it appears that the tamper terminals if used, are all common?

If i wire and configure the zones for DEOL then this would eliminate the tamper issue?

If i wire and configure the zones for DEOL then this would eliminate the tamper issue?

Yes, that is correct.

Cool,

thanks very much for your help with every thing. following on from a spate of burglarys where i live around christmas, i now have some info to get me going securing my own place.

thanks again, much appreciated.

Curtis E Bear.

Its always best to use duel wiring on all zones. It makes fault finding a lot easier down the road.

Cool,

thanks very much for your help with every thing. following on from a spate of burglarys where i live around christmas, i now have some info to get me going securing my own place.

thanks again, much appreciated.

Curtis E Bear.

Your welcome Curtis E Bear. It is happening all over the place so its best to get it sorted. If you have any questions, just ask. Always here to help if i can..

Best regards,

Altor.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement