Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Southeast Asia Trip

Options
  • 03-01-2010 7:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hey,

Going on a 3 month trip around Southeast Asia at the end of June/start of July this summer 2010. Planning to go straight from there to Melbourne on a working holiday visa for a year or so. Just wondering if anyone who's done the whole SE Asia thing could help me out without any advice or information?

I was thinking of flying cheap to Germany with Ryanair and then getting flights from there to Bangkok. Is accommodation/internal flights something I should book beforehand or what? I really want to get around Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia too but have not read up about anything at all yet. Anyone know of any good sites or books I should check out?

Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

thailand, cambodia and vietnam are amazing.
    you will find nicer accomodation which more suits your needs/price/location when you get there, but for your first night or 2, i strongly suggest you book somewhere.

MAKE SURE IT HAS AIR-CON. :D

when i went, i stayed at both these hotel's for 2 nights each, and then went wandering to different area's.

http://www.1800hotels.ie/budget-hotels-worldwide/Thailand/Bangkok/hotels/Regency-Park
    http://www.1800hotels.ie/budget-hotels-worldwide/Thailand/Bangkok/hotels/Royal-Ivory-Bangkok

as for internal flights around asia, i found i got much better deals going into travel agents and booking there. its also possible to haggle with them on the price as they will lower their commision rate too.

bangkok is a great spot to start with.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

www.travelfish.org is your bible for SE Asia. it's one of the most traveller friendly areas in the world so just book flights and sort everything else out when you get there. I have been to Thailand in 2007 and Vietnam and Cambodia in 2008, I did lots of research before I went, too much to go into here, feel free to PM me if you'd like any help or have questions.

Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Golden Ireland

We spent part of our honeymoon in Cambodia. Loved it so much - food is really great. Everything very cheap. We used the rough guide to SE Asia and found it quite helpful. Didn't go too much off the beaten track and just stuck to the well known tourist resorts. Have so many happy memories of the country and the people but maybe that's because we were basking in the honeymoon glow but no I think it really is a special place and would go back in the morning if I had the chance. Have a great time!

Advertisement