Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last TG of the series

Options
  • 03-01-2010 6:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

The beeb pre-transmission bumpf and guff

Jeremy Clarkson tests the BMW X6 in Australia, Spain and Barbados. James May joins Margaret Calvert, one of the designers of many of Britain's road signs, as he drives the Vauxhall Insignia VXR, and Richard Hammond tries out a £340,000 Lexus supercar. Plus, musician Seasick Steve is the Star in a Reasonably Priced Car.

Start your engines at 8 pm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Series over already? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Sake, looks like this is clashing with the start of the darts. Sorry TG, shall just be recording thee tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 EngTech

Dosen't look like it'll be a patch on last weeks episode :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Is it definitely on at 8? I won't turn on BBC 2 and find the darts has run long will I?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Darts is behind the red button from 7

• Advertisement

I meant the darts on Sky Sports, i.e., the real world championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

lol darts.

anyways the last several seasons have only had 8 episodes in it season 14 was going to be no different.

Let's hope they go out with a bang for this series.

i'm already liking the star in the reasonably priced car. not a fan of seasick steve's music but he is no doubt a character and i hope he has good banter with jeremy.

Them Lexii are damn sexy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

A £340,000 Lexus? Oh dear.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

some lovely software instrument displays on that Lexus, but the price is crazy, even by super cars standards.

• Advertisement

That bmw x6 wont last long. I give it 2 or 3 years till its axed. Silly looking thing. pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

WHO dressed Hammond? That shirt is so woeful, James May wouldn't wear it

LOL at the sparkly jacket right after that post!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

good episode imo.

usually the most boring part of the show - star in the reasonably priced car - have been excellent this year imo.

bring on later in the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Not a bad show, I enjoyed it! I liked the Lexus but it's definately not worth that sort of money :eek: I thought Seastick Steve was about as much fun as watching paint dry though!

It was a mediocre episode.
    Whats with the superimposed comic-book graphics in the lexus test???
    James May's test was dull & cheap. BBC must have over-spent, especially on clarksons globe-trotting contribution.
    I still dont like the celebrity interview rubbish & i never will.

I suppose they were never going better last weeks show. Which was pretty brilliant in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

It wasn't there greatest show. They really were trying to fill up an hour and five minutes however they could

James May's test was dull & cheap. BBC must have over-spent, especially on clarksons globe-trotting contribution.

Tongue-in-cheek I'm guessing?

amacachi wrote: »
    Tongue-in-cheek I'm guessing?

I suppose. Did he actually give his opinion on the car?

btw......i still enjoyed it & its still miles ahead of anything on tv.:)

Just in case anyone thought i was being a grumpy git.

• Advertisement

I suppose. Did he actually give his opinion on the car?

Yeah, it's a pointless car.

amacachi wrote: »
    Yeah, it's a pointless car.

Sorry i meant the test on the vauxhall insignia. It was such a boring test i lost concentration.

Didn't really enjoy this episode. Jeremy's little round the world trip was so pointless and dull, the comic book crap on the lexus test was stupid (although that's a gorgeous car), and Seasick Steve was very boring (except for the Morris Minor guitar :D)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Didn't mind that last episode so much, seemed fairly solid. Not sure about all the computery animation/Sin City type stuff in the Lexus review, or if Hammond was all that objective, but no matter. The news actually seemed like news, i.e., talking about cars and some banter. Enjoyed Clarkson's piece on the X6, reminded me of the Fiesta review - playful and taking the mick whilst not being afraid to give the car a good kicking. Didn't care too much for the Vauxhall or awards. The anti-government stuff still grates.

Hopefully the next series'll be a lot better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

I think I'm finished watching TG for the moment. It's getting embarrasing watching them going through such a dead-pan delivered script.
    Clarkson is the only one that I still can bear, Hammond is really just getting more and more childish every year and James is just a completely "Meh...."
    I don't think they offer real entertainment anymore. I think it actually would be great to see them do less of the themed shows and actually show some everyday cars like you and me buy.
    Supercars are and will be crass until will are out of this recession..

I think the change back to do everyday cars would really be a breath of fresh air. That and maybe get Mike Brewer on board..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Pretty poor episode i thought. It had a real feeling of "this is the last show so lets cobble together any old tat and til be grand"
    James Mays test was so tedious. When he went indoors with the old woman to discuss road signs I just thought, wtf am i watching here.

I spose thats it now til, er, next June i presume. :(

kwalshe wrote: »
    I think I'm finished watching TG for the moment. It's getting embarrasing watching them going through such a dead-pan delivered script.
    Clarkson is the only one that I still can bear, Hammond is really just getting more and more childish every year and James is just a completely "Meh...."
    I don't think they offer real entertainment anymore. I think it actually would be great to see them do less of the themed shows and actually show some everyday cars like you and me buy.
    Supercars are and will be crass until will are out of this recession..

I think the change back to do everyday cars would really be a breath of fresh air. That and maybe get Mike Brewer on board..

I agree with you on the presenters.

But i love the super-car reviews. Sometimes they're amazing ie; the gt40/ferrari/zonda going across the millau bridge in France...its eye popping.
    It should be 50/50 dream-cars/regular cars imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Agricola wrote: »
    When he went indoors with the old woman to discuss road signs I just thought, wtf am i watching here.

Not a fan of the "Secret Life of Motorways" series then? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Its funny how pieces that are mildly interesting, different and a bit obscure like the piece on road signs or the cars from the 20's and 30's they had on a couple of years back are disliked, where the horrible scripted garbage like the races and the trip across the south-east of the US is heralded as TV genius.
    The show makes me cringe a lot, particularly Clarkson's right wing mania and parts where they are just playing their character ie 'lol you're old/drive slow/got you teeth done, jostle jostle'. They're certainly still capable of making good original pieces of motoring journalism (while still being entertaining and light hearted) but no one wants to see that it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Couple of points. The review of the Vauxall seemed to be a parody of the Spike Milligan David Attenborough sketch (with less naked women unfortunately)

Also, that 'race' between the crappy skateboard and the wierd bike thingy was just rubbish (along with the staged crash at the end)

It really does seem like they were just killing time for the last episode of the series and doing it badly. Why didn't they just have a race out on the track or something, maybe put James Jeremy and Hammond in the Lacetti. Would (considering it was it's last show) and see where they ranked.

Would have cost feck all and would have been something the fans actually want to see.

Advertisement