Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secure Watch (HKC) 1999 no display/power

Options
  • 03-01-2010 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi,

I have recently moved into a secondhand house where the Secure watch (HKC) Alarm is not working & has never since we moved in.The alarm was installed in 1999 as far as I know.

The panel in the Hall does Not show anything as if there is no power going to it ..... ( all the trip switches are on!!!)

I have taken off the front cover of the Main board (see attached) .

On the board (top right) there are four places for fuses three have fuses ,
    one has Not, could this be my problem or is this a red herring .....????

Also would i be right in stating the arming oanle in the hall is powered by the mains and the actual bell, by the battery ???

Any help would be a great help icon_smile.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭u2thepale

Sorry , think I shoud've posted in intrutder alarms thread... ..
    Can this be moved ..pretty please ,
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭altor

u2thepale wrote: »
    Hi,

I have recently moved into a secondhand house where the Secure watch (HKC) Alarm is not working & has never since we moved in.The alarm was installed in 1999 as far as I know.

The panel in the Hall does Not show anything as if there is no power going to it ..... ( all the trip switches are on!!!)

I have taken off the front cover of the Main board (see attached) .

On the board (top right) there are four places for fuses three have fuses ,
    one has Not, could this be my problem or is this a red herring .....????

Also would i be right in stating the arming oanle in the hall is powered by the mains and the actual bell, by the battery ???

Any help would be a great help icon_smile.gif

Hi u2thepale,

The fuse that is missing is the battery fuse. You need this fuse so the panel can run off the backup battery when the electricity is off. There is another fuse where the main power goes into the panel, it is beside the transformer. I would say that fuse has being removed also and thats why there is no power going to the alarm.

Have you got a user code for the alarm ?

Cheers Altor, it's only after you pointed that out did I realise that on the Board it does have F1, F2, F3 etc and of course where the fuse is missing is F1 (Battery Fuse as per the photo :) !!!

Anyhow I'll try get a fuse for that , however obviously that still leaves me with the problem with no power going to the Panel in the hall ,

Below the panel there is a fuse box which the LED is flickering as if there is power going to it , that cable then run up to the panle box and into this internal fuse in the panle which is just above the main board in my earlier post.

Just below where the main live wire goes in , there is a piece of plasti there that looks like it possibly comes out , is this where another fuse might be that can be changed ?? below that there is a sticker Fuse 250 ma

Obviously I cant check this right now as the electricity is on ..

Ive added another photo so you see what im describing , and for others just in case :)

Cheers Altor, it's only after you pointed that out did I realise that on the Board it does have F1, F2, F3 etc and of course where the fuse is missing is F1 (Battery Fuse as per the photo :) !!!

Anyhow I'll try get a fuse for that , however obviously that still leaves me with the problem with no power going to the Panel in the hall ,

Below the panel there is a fuse box which the LED is flickering as if there is power going to it , that cable then run up to the panle box and into this internal fuse in the panle which is just above the main board in my earlier post.

Just below where the main live wire goes in , there is a piece of plasti there that looks like it possibly comes out , is this where another fuse might be that can be changed ?? below that there is a sticker Fuse 250 ma

Obviously I cant check this right now as the electricity is on ..

Ive added another photo so you see what im describing , and for others just in case :)

Yes, what you are describing is a spur that the mains goes to from the fuse board then into the alarm panel but i cant see it in the picture so i am only assuming this.

The plastic is where the fuse is inside the panel, it is inside the plastic holder. You could test it with a meter if you one. BE VERY CAREFUL as this is live and there is a risk of electric shock. The plastic holder will come out with a pull.
    Replacing this fuse will put power back on the panel.

Hi Altor ,

Eventualy got round to looking at our alarm again, got a fuse for the panel, when I turned the electricty on the alarm went off for two rings and a message came up on the control Panel but dis-appeared before I could read it.

There's now no power going to the panel, could this be a problem on the board.. I suppose I should get a "pofessional" to call out .. ??

Cheers,
    D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Is the battery connected or disconnected?
    Is there any power on the main PCB? (Look for red LED)
    If its the main fuse you replaced & it powered up for a second it would seem the power supply is gone & is constantrly blowing the fuse. If the battery is connected & has power (12-13.5 vdc) then perhaps there is a problem on the keypad bus.

To start at the start procede as follows.
    Disconnect all powered devices from the panel.
    Aux 12vdc
    Internal & external bells
    Keypad

Replace the fuse & power up again ..
    Is there power on the main PCB now? (red LED)
    If yes reconnect keypad & other power devices one by one.
    If not & the fuse has blown again disconnect the lead from the power supply connecting to the panel. Replace the fuse & power up the power supply on its own. If the fuse still blows the Power supply is faulty.

Thanks for the quick reply Koolkid,

The battery is disconnected and it's the main Fuse I have replaced (250MA/250V).

The fuse that I have replaced it with is Not clear so I't difficult for me to see if it's blown but more than likely as the red led is not lit.

I might run down the local hardware shop and see if I can get a bunch ofthese specefic fuses, they are not the easiest to find sometimes..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Thread moved from Electrical to Home security

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

250MA/250V is correct.
    Disconnect the Power Supply lead from the Panel & power up again.
    If it blows then it has to be the power supply.

Do I need to open up the panel downstairs or disconnect from the board itself ??? Not sure exactly where I do it on the board..

• Advertisement

No . From the power supply there is a 2 core lead that plugs onto the main PCB board. Just unplug that from the board.

Is this the yellow wire ... pardon my ignorance here.... have attached a pic to help

Yes it unplugs from the main PCB board where I have marked.

Cheers Koolkid , got a bit mixed up there , yeah unplugged the lead and yep it blew two fuses that I checked.... So it looks like it's the Power supply Unit that's causing my problems..

Next question is in your experience are these difficult to source ??

Cheers

They can be. The quicker, and sometimes easier option would be to get one of these . 1 amp 12vdc would be sufficiant . Either take out the power supply or Mount it beside the panel & feed the 12vdc to the PCB of your alarm.
    If you need a hand with it give me a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Thats a dc psu in the link, whats in the HKC unit is an ac trafo, 240VAC stepped down to 18VAC.
    Most alarm wholesalers stock the trafos

Yes. Feeding 12vDC in there is fine. It runs freely trough the rectifier. I have clarified this with the manufacturers and done it many times without issue.

are these difficult to source ??

Hi u2thepale,

Good to see your getting the alarm sorted. I have a few of these, if you need one send me a pm and you can have one.

I just like to say a big thank you to everyone here who has helped me so far , I always find boards.ie is invaluable as a resource for everything .

Altor and Koolkid have read quite a few posts where you have helped so many people out , Legends!!

Altor will take you up on that offer if suits , will send you a pm,

Thanks again,

I just like to say a big thank you to everyone here who has helped me so far , I always find boards.ie is invaluable as a resource for everything .

Altor and Koolkid have read quite a few posts where you have helped so many people out , Legends!!

Altor will take you up on that offer if suits , will send you a pm,

Thanks again,

Always happy to help :D

P.M. sent.

• Advertisement

Thanks to Altor for sorting out my Alarm Sytem , throughly a professional job, as you said "easy when you know how.."

Thanks to everyone else for their input ,
    Cheers

Thanks to Altor for sorting out my Alarm Sytem , throughly a professional job, as you said "easy when you know how.."

Thanks to everyone else for their input ,
    Cheers

Your welcome u2thepale, always happy to help :D

Advertisement