Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super quick veggie dinners

Options
  • 03-01-2010 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭

I'm back in college soon and so will have very little time to prepare food. I was wondering if anyone had any really quick but really tasty veggie recipes? I'm talking 15-20 mins prep/cooking time, max. I eat a lot of pittas with hummus and veg, pasta with tomato sauce and omelettes but looking to be a bit more adventurous!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Vegan Wannabe

I've seen recipes for tomato soup with tons of ingredients. This one works well for me. It's tomato soup- why not use just tomatoes? And if you're going to make soup from scratch- it might as well be simple, right?

You can make a big saucepan of this soup with one red onion, 2 beef tomatoes, some veg stock and whatever herbs you fancy. ( Thyme works well). Chop up veg, cook onion in some oil, add in the chopped tomatoes. 'Saute' for a few minutes. Add herbs. Add stock. It's handy if you have a blender for this. I have a smoothie maker i use for soupmaking. But if not- don't fret. Cheap and surprisingly simple. (As long as you don't start peeling the tomatoes)

Not adventurous but good soup!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Google's your best friend on this one, try fatfreevegan.com too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Klove

As a variation on the ol' pasta theme I sometimes use creme fraiche on sauteed vegetables instead of chopped tomatoes/tomato sauce and then add a little grated cheese. Doesn't sound too amazing but is pretty fab and a nice change.

I'm also a divil for quorn burgers (especially the chickeny ones...yum) chopped into pieces and eaten in a wrap or pitta with loads of salad and sauce. Or just thrown into a salad with lots of avocado and honey mustard dressing. So quick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭iamthe43

3 easy recipes that never let me down - all in 20 minutes

Red kidney beans in tomato sauce with pasta:
    Fry a shallot and two cloves of garlic for 3 minutes. Add a tin of tomatoes and some oregano, simmer for 5 minutes. Add a tin of red kidney beans and simmer for 10 minutes. Serve with pasta

Red lentil dhal:
    Heat some oil and add a cup of red lentils, fry for a minute. Add 2 cups of water and about one and a half tablespoons of pataks curry paste. Simmer for 20 minutes or until lentils are soft.

Couscous:
    Fry 1/2 teaspoon of mustard seeds and 1 teaspoons of sesame seeds until they begin to pop. Add 1 tablespoon of raisins and chopped cashew nuts and fry for 1 minute. Add 70g couscous, 1 green chilli, and 140ml water. Bring to boil and remove from heat and leave aside for 10 minutes or until couscous is soft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

Fry Red Onion with garlic and red chili in olive oil
    Then add Kale (rip the leafy material off the stalks) rinsed, put in more than you think as it will shrink down quite a bit.
    Add a tin of chickpeas and season.
    Serve with brown rice (though any rice is good) delicious and nutritious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

dereko1969 wrote: »
    Fry Red Onion with garlic and red chili in olive oil
    Then add Kale (rip the leafy material off the stalks) rinsed, put in more than you think as it will shrink down quite a bit.
    Add a tin of chickpeas and season.
    Serve with brown rice (though any rice is good) delicious and nutritious.

Thats my kinda food mmm... LOVE kale...

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Adam anto

This is really tasty. Not sure of exact measurements but that's half the fun of it.
    Only takes about 10 mins.

Soak some sundried tomatoes for a while to soften.
    Fry some garlic, add a handful of mushrooms then some peas and sundried tomatoes, salt and pepper and fry for a few minutes. Add 3 or 4 good dollops of mascarpone and fry for a minute until sauce is nice and creamy.

Have some fresh tagliatelle just ready now. Drain and put into pan with sauce. Mix it all together.

Eat...

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Aisling&M

My tip would be to spend one day a week or fortnight entirely cooking and cook up huge batches of involved recipes that can then be frozen in portion containers. It's what I do regularly. I make up huge pots of pasta sauce, quinoa dishes, bean salads, curries, chickpea stews etc.

Advertisement