Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Longford

Options
  • 03-01-2010 1:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Hi Guys
    Just wondering if anyone has any advice on best broadband for Longford Town area? I'm with Imagine at the moment but it goes off fairly often so was thinking of changing...not sure about Imagines new Wi-max(?) broadband supposedly coming soon, anyone know if this will be any better?
    Thanks, Carrie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Xcellor

If you are in town check if you can get Crossan Cable, its the fastest option. Other than that you are left with the normal ones which are all resellers of Eircom. Imagine haven't launched their wimax in Longford yet.

What are you using your BB for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 carrie4

Thanks Xcellor. I am in town but have a phone/broadband bundle so that would rule out Crossans. Only use BB for e-mail, shopping etc... no gaming. I was really wondering if any provider was more reliable as I seem to be loosing connection with Imagine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Crossan Cable are reliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

carrie4 wrote: »
    Thanks Xcellor. I am in town but have a phone/broadband bundle so that would rule out Crossans.

So what advice are you looking for? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Invis

Crossan cable???? I don't know what service they supply. But the prices this guy charges are ridiculous. He want's 45 quit to go over your home and "install a modem" and 45 quit a month. So you will have to pay out nearly 100 euro straight away!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 JediSFXMaster

Considering they are providing 9meg down, it's not a bad offer from crossan at all. When you compare it to other providers, it's actually very decent. The only thing I don't like is the 650k up... wtf is that about? Apart from that though, not a bad deal if you're living in the town.

Btw, because you have to get the tv before you can get broadband it will cost about 65-70 per month or 15-20 per week... for 9mb down, unlimited traffic and cable tv... damn that upspeed!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I'm a bit confused here too. If you don't want to change your phone/bb bundle you won't be able to do much about your problem.

If the broadband is cutting out, you'll have to ask imagine to lower your broadband speed or go through troubleshooting etc. and Imagine's support are not good from what I read here. So the only other option is to go with Crossan or else use a mobile internet dongle thingy.

I think you need an analogue decoder to watch Crossan's TV so having to pay for TV as well as broadband is not very good value at all.

Casey Cablevision in Dungarvan would offer comparably better prices and also up to 120 meg broadband, making them still the fastest residential broadband provider in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JediSFXMaster

120!!! :eek: !!!

that's it, i'm moving to dungarvan! ;):D

(was that a typo by any chance?... 12 maybe?)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

http://www.cablesurf.com/

Co. Waterford's finest ISP:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I think you need an analogue decoder to watch Crossan's TV so having to pay for TV as well as broadband is not very good value at all.

Casey Cablevision in Dungarvan would offer comparably better prices and also up to 120 meg broadband, making them still the fastest residential broadband provider in Ireland.
    Crossan and Casey appear to co-source the same gear so there is chance that Crossan will go 120 as well. Someone ask them when and post the answer in here.

Casey in Dungarvan always had Irelands fastest broadband as well as having Irelands first Broadband, it went live 13 years ago.

• Advertisement
Advertisement