Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Service Ranks

Options
  • 03-01-2010 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

being in and out of prisons for work every few days have become curious about the rank structure...

i assume the lads with plain eppulates are prisoner officers, i see a few guys with one gold bar, some with two and the odd time a guy with 3

what ranks are these men and what other ranks are there??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭480905

1922 wrote: »
    being in and out of prisons for work every few days have become curious about the rank structure...

i assume the lads with plain eppulates are prisoner officers, i see a few guys with one gold bar, some with two and the odd time a guy with 3

what ranks are these men and what other ranks are there??

Why are you in and out of Prisons every few days??? not an everyday thing to be doing in a normal job??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

480905 wrote: »
    Why are you in and out of Prisons every few days??? not an everyday thing to be doing in a normal job??

does it have any bearing to the answer to the OPs question?

OP: i've checked out a few sites and cant seem find any details. hopefully someone will come up with the answer. would be interested to know also.

Just an interested question. no matter. I'm sure somebody will oblige .

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭1922

480905 wrote: »

sorry, i'm a member of AGS...have a prison in our district

Very Good ,expect a PM with the details of your question

• Advertisement

does it have any bearing to the answer to the OPs question?

OP: i've checked out a few sites and cant seem find any details. hopefully someone will come up with the answer. would be interested to know also.

Was that question directed towards you???? And it does have a bearing. Hence the answer by PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

1922 wrote: »
    sorry, i'm a member of AGS...have a prison in our district

Might be no harm to ask some one of the Prison Officers when your next inside.

I am sure the rank structure is similiar to AGS.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

plain epalettes signify prison officer, trades officer & assistant industrial supervisor grade;
    one gold bar signifies assistant chief officer (equivalent of garda sargeant), chief trades officer class 2 & industrial supervisor;
    two gold bars signify chief officer class 2 (equivalent of garda inspector), chief trades officer & industrial manager;
    three gold bars signify chief officer class 1(equivalent to garda superintendant);
    governor, deputy governor, assistant governor & clerical grades (clerk 1 & 2) wear civillian attire (plain clothes);
    assistant governors and chief officers class 1 are/were on the same pay scale so there is/was a perception among some that they're equal in rank.

Advertisement