Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Children dying

Options
  • 03-01-2010 5:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

I ask this, (as an absolute athiest), and as a nurse, with great respect, as my ma is a believer, but why, if there is a God, do children die..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

its not as if its just kids that die everyone dies its a part of life, its not as if god is up in the clouds with a rifle picking off kids as he sees fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭shuvly

its not as if its just kids that die everyone dies its a part of life, its not as if god is up in the clouds with a rifle picking off kids as he sees fit.

Am not gonna pick a fight templar, but have been there as a sib, she died 28 years ago last tues, not that I'm counting, it's just there...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

shuvly wrote: »
    Am not gonna pick a fight templar, but have been there as a sib, she died 28 years ago last tues, not that I'm counting, it's just there...

I'm terribly sorry to hear that, Shuvly.

The quick answer is that this universe and everything in it destined to die. Somewhat bleak, no? Life is curiously very much dependent on death. (Given the sensitive nature of the thread I'll spare examples.) This is simply the way the universe is, and, I guess, that non-believers must try to live the best life they can in the few years we all have on this earth.

With respect to God's part in all this, the earliest Christians believed that the sin, death and decay that pervades this universe were overthrown through the sacrifice and resurrection of Christ - the God who cares enough to do something about it. This was the point when the universe was put back on track, so to speak. Now we await the return of Christ, the redemption of our bodies and the creation of a new heaven and a new earth.

(I'm sorry if this is a little theologically heavy.)

To answer your question a little more directly.

1) Physical death, I believe, was always part of this universe. In this regard I must conclude that our continued existence in this universe was never intended.
    2) Despite the finite nature of the universe (and everything in it), Christianity teaches that it was never the final step in God's plan of creation. There was always a bigger picture involving creation and our place in it - a new heavens and a new earth.
    3) However, sin entered the world at some point. One could suppose that sin has somehow become intertwined with death - magnifying it - and in doing so has knocked creation off kilter and separated us from God.
    4) Through the resurrection of Christ the universe has been put right and death and sin have been overthrown.
    5) Finally, I believe that one day Christ will return in glory and that the heavens and the earth will be joined eternally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

shuvly wrote: »

And I have been there as a parent, and it doesn't get any less painful 15 years later.

There are a multitude of possible reasons why children die, since the way we are living now, and the environment in which we live, is a million miles away from what God intended for us. However, knowing those reasons won't help a grieving parent or sibling one little bit.

For me, the one thing that carried me through that dark time was the awareness that God cared, that God was grieving with me, and knowing His presence closer than I had ever experienced Him before.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

PDN wrote: »
    And I have been there as a parent, and it doesn't get any less painful 15 years later.

There are a multitude of possible reasons why children die, since the way we are living now, and the environment in which we live, is a million miles away from what God intended for us. However, knowing those reasons won't help a grieving parent or sibling one little bit.

For me, the one thing that carried me through that dark time was the awareness that God cared, that God was grieving with me, and knowing His presence closer than I had ever experienced Him before.

Much better put than my post. Thanks for sharing!

• Advertisement
Advertisement