Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Speed Upgrades

Options
  • 03-01-2010 1:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Is it true that eircom are upgrading speeds soon?? A friend was in a shop and they mentioned something about it but I'm not fully sure.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Calebmcd

No, they are physically at ther limit. So unless they go fibre.
    Or start selling ADSL2+ products to retail then not a hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭paulshir

Grrr... Thanks anyways!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Calebmcd wrote: »
    No, they are physically at ther limit. So unless they go fibre.
    Or start selling ADSL2+ products to retail then not a hope!

Not actually at their limit.

They did all the work in the middle of last year upgrading the exchanges and even had a date when they were going to release the new speeds. However it never happened.

I know that 20Mb is available in their exchanges but they are sticking with ADSL 1 at the moment.

Shane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Making It Bad

Not actually at their limit.

They did all the work in the middle of last year upgrading the exchanges and even had a date when they were going to release the new speeds. However it never happened.

I know that 20Mb is available in their exchanges but they are sticking with ADSL 1 at the moment.

Shane

Why on earth would they do that? I'd imagine they'd charge a fortune for a 20 Mb line anyway.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,176 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Why on earth would they do that? I'd imagine they'd charge a fortune for a 20 Mb line anyway.

Why would Eircom bother competing when it's cheaper to simply abuse their monopoly position and keep themselves and their non-LLU competitors on ancient, slow systems?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

arent over half the exchanges in the country still adsl1 tho? I thought it was only large exchagnes and newer exchanges that has adsl2+?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Some others have been quietly fitted with ADSL2+ gear .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭the_law

I don't see Eircon competing with ADSL anytime soon. Their strategy seems to be to string ADSL out as long as possible - over the next year or two - and then bring out VDSL using FTTC.

When it gets to VDSL time, the competitors' DSLAMs become worthless and they'll have to invest in roadside cabinets... I'm guessing this will be financially unviable for most, installing 20+ cabinets per exchange, where Eircom have existing cabinets that simply get enlarged. This means the competitors are again reduced to reselling expensive Eircon product. Genius eh?

And given the battles LLU operators have had to get Eircon to process unbundling at the exchange properly, can you imagine the hassle of unbundling at the sub-loop/cabinet level? Comreg will remain impotent, and thus the Eircon stranglehold continues.

Basically, the only way to really compete with Eircon is for somebody to lay their own network to every house... Fixed wireless may work, but spectrum is always at a premium. Has anyone counted the number of UPC vans going around recently (actually, they're mostly subcontractors). Only a small proportion of the vans are UPC branded... look for small white vans/vanettes with a blue circle with a white number in it on the back. I've seen numbers well above 100 in Dublin- they're seriously going for it. Fair play to them, even if their customer service is abysmal.

With the introduction of 30 megabit services tomorrow, UPC will overtake the limit of ADSL2+ technology. And with 100 megabit DOCSIS 3 services planned this year, VDSL2 is really the only way for phone lines to compete. To the best of my knowledge, there are only a handful of exchanges in Dublin with upgraded (4' high, grey, black handle on door, with a mains voltage warning sticker) cabinets - Dundrum being one of them.

I think Eircom have dropped the ball - okay, they dropped it a long time ago - but how do they plan to spin "7 megabits for 65 euro" versus "30 megabits for 48 euro"??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

quite right there The Law.....except that eircom promised the FTT(nearby)VDSL rollout you mentioned in late 2006 and have only done one Dublin exchange area experimentally.

That is either priory or nutley which was only unbundled in 2007 or 2008.

The FTT(somewhere) rollout has long been frozen, no money. All the cash is really going on 3g rollouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Davek1312

I have just spoken yo eircom and they say they have no plans to currently to invest in ftth but that they are doing ''core upgrades''.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭oppiuy

Davek1312 wrote: »
    I have just spoken yo eircom and they say they have no plans to currently to invest in ftth but that they are doing ''core upgrades''.

Adsl 2 is being rolled out or so they keep telling us

Advertisement