Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nocturnal Teens Have Greater Risk of Depression

• 03-01-2010 1:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭

Going to bed earlier protects teenagers against depression and suicidal thoughts, New York research suggests.

Of 15,500 12 to 18-year-olds studied, those who went to bed after midnight were 24% more likely to have depression than those who went before 2200.

And those who slept fewer than five hours a night had a 71% higher risk of depression than those who slept eight hours, the journal Sleep reports.

It is estimated 80,000 UK children and young people have depression.

The researchers from Columbia University Medical Center in New York looked at data from 15,500 teenagers collected in the 1990s.

One in 15 of those studied were found to have depression.

As well as the higher risk of depression, those who were set a bedtime by their parents of after midnight were 20% more likely to think about suicide than those whose bedtime was 2200 or earlier.

Those who had less than five hours sleep a night were thought to have a 48% higher risk of suicidal thoughts compared with those who had eight hours of sleep.

Teenagers who reported they "usually get enough sleep" were 65% less likely to be depressed.

Depression and suicidal thoughts were also more likely in girls, older teenagers and in those who had a lower self-perception of how much parents care about them.

Most of the parents of the adolescents in the study set a bedtime of 2200 or earlier.

A quarter set a bedtime of 2400 or later.

On average the teenagers were having seven hours and 53 minutes sleep a night - less than the nine hours recommended at that age.

Study leader Dr James Gangwisch said although it it was possible that youngsters with depression struggle to sleep, the fact that parental set bedtimes were linked with depression suggests that a lack of sleep is somehow underpinning the development of the condition.

He said a lack of sleep could affect emotional brain responses and lead to moodiness that hindered the ability to cope with daily stresses.

This moodiness could affect judgment, concentration and impulse control.

Regular exercise

"Adequate quality sleep could therefore be a preventative measure against depression and a treatment for depression," he added.

Sarah Brennan, chief executive at the mental health charity YoungMinds, said: "Enough sleep, good food and regular exercise are all essential to stay emotionally healthy.

"Nearly 80,000 children and young people suffer with depression, yet we are still failing to provide our young people with the help and support to cope with it and prevent it.

"Providing parents with information about how to look after your body, for example by getting enough sleep, and how to get help if they are worried about their teenager, will ensure problems are tackled early and prevent serious mental health conditions such as depression."
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8435955.stm

So, uh, thought I'd post it here for the most effect (and better target audience), since about 90% of us regulars are nocturnal, and all. Must say, I'm in 2 minds about it. I sometimes feel melancholy when I'm up late, but like, not "suicidal thoughts" or anything. Just a mixture of boredom and tiredness.

What say you?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

Huh?!

I think that posting here this late actually helps to stop suicidal thoughts, it can be quite amusing at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Your supposed to get 9 hours sleep:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Anytime im up early in the day I have suidical thoughts, so I stay up till' all hours, hey presto :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Oh....

that's not good :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Staying up late consistently can make me feel crap but never 'depressed' crap. More along the lines of feeling sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I'd be quite skeptical about this tbh. Less sleep might not help depression, but it's not the cause of it. If someone is truly depressed, going to bed on time isn't gonna cure it all by itself.

"Going to bed earlier protects teenagers against depression and suicidal thoughts" - this just sounds ridiculously oversimplified to me. I'm not speaking as a medical researcher, but as someone who was diagnosed with depression not too long ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

So what if you don't go to sleep until morning but then sleep much longer than everyone else?
    This seems to be assuming that people who go to bed late get less sleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

eVeNtInE wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    6 is acceptable:eek: I thought it was slap bang on 8, with anything more or less was bad?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

If I mess up my sleeping pattern too much I always feel weird and on edge for the rest of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Clearly alot of us need a health awakening. Quite shocking alot of you thought 6 hours sleep is okay... Recommended sleep is 8 hours for a fully-grown adult. Male RDA for calories is 2500 kcal. Female RDA for calories is 2000 kcal. Should be getting 30 minutes of exercise a day.

From my own experience, staying up late does get me down sometimes, mainly if I sleep the rest of the next day and feel like **** for missing an entire day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Watched a brilliant BBC documentary a fews weeks ago called 'The Secret Life Of Your Body Clock' which confirmed many things I've strongly believed in the face of adversity from daywalkers diurnal people.

Yes, teens generally need more sleep, so let them sleep ffs! All those whingey people who gave out to me for sleeping when I WAS TIRED!
    Fools.

jumpguy wrote: »
    I sometimes feel melancholy when I'm up late, but like, not "suicidal thoughts" or anything. Just a mixture of boredom and tiredness.

What say you?
    If I mess up my sleeping pattern too much I always feel weird and on edge for the rest of the day.

It's natural to feel like crap when you're overtired or your sleeping patterns have been messed up. It's totally natural to feel down when you're tired.

However, there is a massive difference between being down and being depressed. Depression is not something that happens to you "because you're tired". If it was, everyone would have to be treated for it.

It's natural to feel like crap when you're overtired or your sleeping patterns have been messed up. It's totally natural to feel down when you're tired.

However, there is a massive difference between being down and being depressed. Depression is not something that happens to you "because you're tired". If it was, everyone would have to be treated for it.
    Is there a lifestyle treatment for depression though, instead of/with anti-depressant drugs or counselling?

The Rigger, not availiable in my area it says. Any other links?

Is there a lifestyle treatment for depression though, instead of/with anti-depressant drugs or counselling?

Probably, but I'd be extremely skeptical of any such "treatment". Depression is an illness, and to treat an illness you need medical help, not some quack telling you to sleep for 15 hours a day and drink nothing but herbal tea.

Probably, but I'd be extremely skeptical of any such "treatment". Depression is an illness, and to treat an illness you need medical help, not some quack telling you to sleep for 15 hours a day and drink nothing but herbal tea.
    Research is how new treatments are made man. It's one of the first steps. I dunno, I can definetly see something in it. I'm not sure I like the whole throw-drugs-at-it thing with depression. Another treat-the-symptom, not the cause thing.

Research is how new treatments are made man. I dunno, I can definetly see something in it.

I'm not saying teenagers shouldn't be advised to sleep more, eat better, get more exercise etc. - of course they should. Obviously if you're physically healthy, it will help your emotional health.

All I'm saying is that in many cases serious depression is far too complex an illness to rely solely on lifestyle changes alone to cure it. Obviously the article can't go into the full extent of the research (otherwise it would go on forever) but I feel like it's far too idealistic and simplistic.

Of course, this is all just my opinion; like I said, I'm not a Medical expert or anything so I might be totally wrong about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

theowen wrote: »

The Rigger, not availiable in my area it says. Any other links?

Dunno, I got it off the cousins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

You may need medical help, but lifestyle changes can certainly help with depression. Doing things like getting enough sleep, eating healthily and getting enough exercise can have a major impact. It certainly helped me anyway.

Also something which the researcher touches on, but the writer totally ignores, is that insomnia is often a symptom of depression.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Watched a brilliant BBC documentary a fews weeks ago called 'The Secret Life Of Your Body Clock' which confirmed many things I've strongly believed in the face of adversity from daywalkers diurnal people.
    quote]

That is a great documentary!

I usually get 7and a half hours, but feel at my best with 9ish hours sleep.

I'm not saying teenagers shouldn't be advised to sleep more, eat better, get more exercise etc. - of course they should. Obviously if you're physically healthy, it will help your emotional health.

All I'm saying is that in many cases serious depression is far too complex an illness to rely solely on lifestyle changes alone to cure it. Obviously the article can't go into the full extent of the research (otherwise it would go on forever) but I feel like it's far too idealistic and simplistic.
    The question is, with depression becoming pretty large, one must wonder how much of it caused by poor lifestyle? Not ALL is caused by poor lifestyle, but I wouldn't surprised is some study found that 60% or higher cases are down to poor lifestyle.*

*I said "I wouldn't be surprised", that's not an actual figure

You may need medical help, but lifestyle changes can certainly help with depression. Doing things like getting enough sleep, eating healthily and getting enough exercise can have a major impact. It certainly helped me anyway.
    It's good that it helped you, and it does have benefits. All I'm saying is that the article seems to overexaggerate those benefits.

More research would need to be done, but I'm skeptical about this doctor claiming that "Adequate quality sleep could therefore be a preventative measure against depression and a treatment for depression"

It may be a treatment, but it's very unlikely going to be a cure.
    Also something which the researcher touches on, but the writer totally ignores, is that insomnia is often a symptom of depression.

That is absolutely true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

The question is, with depression becoming pretty large, one must wonder how much of it caused by poor lifestyle? Not ALL is caused by poor lifestyle, but I wouldn't surprised is some study found that 60% or higher cases are down to poor lifestyle.*

*I said "I wouldn't be surprised", that's not an actual figure

I really don't think a poor lifestyle can actually cause depression though. In my experience and looking at those around me it just makes it worse. It wouldn't really be possible to conduct a conculsive study on it's causes anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭DarkSeraphim

I think people are missing the point being made..

it is not that lack of sleep that they are saying causes depression but that staying up all night alone and isolated with only your own thoughts and no interaction with people is not good for somebody depressed and suicidal.

I suffer from panic attacks not depression, i am not suicidal either but i know from experience (have always been an night owl) that the only time i every really got panic attacks or felt bad about something was at night time.

Night time is like a fear magnafier, i am sure everybody that has had a problem at one stage has suddenly felt like it was 10 times worse when they sat awake at night thinking about it. The daytime can make problems seem that bit easier to deal with. It brightens things up.

Most of the time when people stay up all night they are on the net or chilling in their room, you get bored at some stage and the lack of interaction with people can make some people feel very lonely and this could be a daily routine for some teenages.

So i think they mean if they get up early they will spend most of the day interacting with friends or family members, less time to dwell on problems and by the time that night time comes along they are too tired to spend all night alone in their rooms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

Yeah, I pretty much agree.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Depression and suicidal thoughts were also more likely in girls, older teenagers and in those who had a lower self-perception of how much parents care about them.

Sarah Brennan, chief executive at the mental health charity YoungMinds, said: "Enough sleep, good food and regular exercise are all essential to stay emotionally healthy.

"Providing parents with information about how to look after your body, for example by getting enough sleep, and how to get help if they are worried about their teenager, will ensure problems are tackled early and prevent serious mental health conditions such as depression."

I haven't mastered the multi quote thingy, but the research cited leaves out so many other factors that can lead to depression. Yes, regular sleep and exercise can help, but can't be cited as a cure IMO.

The first line is backed up by Irish research, that those three groups were most likely to have depression. But depressed thoughts and depression are two seperate things.

Of course lack of sleep can make you feel different and impair judgement (this from a person who pulled back to back all nighters recently to finish college work and was a zombie for a couple of days after), and probably induce more depressed thoughts, but I'd like to know how they diagnosed those students in the research as having depression. Apologies for going slightly darker, but I'd wonder if any of those students with suicidal thoughts acted upon them. I wonder if those students who were up late and having depressed thoughts had changed their bedtimes and to see the influence on that. (questions answered http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/01/100101011828.htm) I don't think the report is accurate in saying regular exercise and sleep are cures for depression, it is a more complex issue than that alone.

On a slightly different note depression and suicide are taboos in this country, and I for one am sick of it. This article has got us talking about the issue of depression, which I for one think is a good thing. One poster mentioned it already tha

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

The same journal (Sleep) that published the report above published a report on that two years ago http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/10/081001093237.htm

Advertisement