Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting your dog out to stud.

Options
  • 03-01-2010 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a 10 month old English Bulldog and was thinking about putting him out to stud as he is show quality with high blood lines. Anyway I know these dogs are particularly hard to beed and in alot of cases need to be assisted.

Does anyone have experience in breeding bulldogs or what the procedure is of putting him out to stud when he is old enough.

Cheers
    032.jpg

017.jpg
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Have you ever shown him? I know that pups cost a helluva lot of money, probably because of the difficulties in breeding and the health issues in the breed. So I would think that any reputable owner of a bitch would only breed with a very good example of the breed, and the only way that can be ascertained is if the dog is shown.

You will need to get all the relevant health checks done, not just the vet giving the dog a check up, but proper checks, don't know what this breed suffer from, but heart check, possible hip and elbow scoring etc. These can all cost a lot of money but again, if you want to go to a reputable bitch owner, they won't touch a stud dog without all of these tests done.

If you show him and he does well, you won't need to advertise him, you will have people asking you to stud him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭roxiesmammy

What a terrific looking dog. If i won the lottery this is the dog i would buy as i know they cost loads to buy and i also know that i would need millions in the bank for vet fees, i have always wanted one of these dogs but alas im still waiting for my numnbers to come up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

There is some information on the UK IKC - the Irish IKC has feck all on their site that isn't about showing dogs...
    You might find more info if you root around on the UK site too. Not all rules might be the same, but the idea is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

+1 on everything ISDW said.
    Championships in a dogs pedigree is like buying a car with a service history, it looks good on paper but unless you test drive it ie. show your dog, you've no idea how it will run :) The other advantage of shows are the invaluable information on your breed you will pick up from more knowledgeable breeders.
    Also alot of research into your dogs bloodlines is needed, you will need to know the pro's and con's of most of the dogs in your dogs bloodlines and any bitch you breed him to to give you the best pups possible to future the breed and this should be the goal of anyone who breeds.
    I have a Rottie bitch of excellent German / English bloodlines and fantastic temperment who I'm spaying in 3 weeks as I don't have the time to show or do the research, nor do I have the full knowledge on breeding to be able to do it properly so I just leave it to the experts, let them do all the work and I just enjoy the fruits of their labour (a well bred, well rounded pup) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭lil'bug

he is a lovely looking puppy
    puppy been the word you shouldn't think about breeding him until he is at least 2 years old
    just enjoy the beautiful baby you have

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭theshamu

Thanks for all the replies.

I have never shown him, have the application form for the Irish Bulldog Club so was just going to start there and see how it goes, he's at the age now where he is a bit on the mischievous side so thinking he wouldn't have the temperment to show. Can he still be a show dog at this age or do they have to be shown from an earlier age?

With regards to the health problems I've been lucky enough, nothing serious as of yet (touch wood!) He's insured, altho Allianz seem to mess you around alot with paying out.

As he is only 10 months now and still growing I really think he will make a great show dog and possibly a successful stud dog (in time) if that is the path he goes down. Enjoying every moment with him, such a happy dog and people love him! Just had the bottom two wooden steps replaced on the stairs, they love to chew on everything!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

You can show at any IKC show once hes registered with the IKC. You dont need to be a member of the Irish Bulldog club to show at all shows. The clubs usually only hold one show per year so you could be waiting a long time for that show to come around.

Hes at the perfect age to start showing and you should pop along to some ring craft classes and get some experience. What part of the country you in?
    You can only show a dog from 6 months of age and a lot of people do start later so its not too late at all at ten months.

Andreac: Thanks for the info, I live in Dublin. Yeah probably would be best to check out a few shows and attend some show classes, must look into it.

No prob. There are classes every tues night out in cloghran, swords, at 8pm, and they are pay as you go too so you dont need to sign up.

The next Champ show in dublin is the St. Patricks day show and its on in Cloghran. Think there are some open shows on there though before that and they are great for beginners starting out.

andreac wrote: »
    No prob. There are classes every tues night out in cloghran, swords, at 8pm, and they are pay as you go too so you dont need to sign up.

The next Champ show in dublin is the St. Patricks day show and its on in Cloghran. Think there are some open shows on there though before that and they are great for beginners starting out.

Do you have a website for these classes? Would love to check them out.

Thanks..

• Advertisement

No, they dont have a website. They are run by the IKC and are in The National Show Centre, Cloghran every tuesday night. The puppy training classes are at 7pm and the ringcraft is on then at 8pm. Think they are €5 per class, and they last an hour.

andreac wrote: »
    No, they dont have a website. They are run by the IKC and are in The National Show Centre, Cloghran every tuesday night. The puppy training classes are at 7pm and the ringcraft is on then at 8pm. Think they are €5 per class, and they last an hour.

Thanks a mill for that, will try make it out next week or so and see how he gets on!!

Ill double check that they are deffo on and not on hols or something and reply here once i fins out.

Or maybe try ringing the IKC too and they should know too.

Advertisement