Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commercial Pajero Query

Options
  • 03-01-2010 12:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi guys,

First time poster in the 4x4 forums, so just looking for some advice. Currently own a 2004 3.2 Commercial LWB Pajero, used for horse related activities. Due to a changing family situation (:eek:) have been looking into options as to what to do with the jeep, as am looking for a more family friendly machine.

The first option I can think of is to get the jeep converted from a commercial by getting the passenger seats installed. However, I don't really know the implications of this (apart from the obvious tax and insurance ones). Is it complicated? Expensive? What are the implications for the jeep when it's done (i.e. are commercials different to non-commercial jeeps structural intergrity wise?).

Second is to sell the jeep. However, as you can imagine, in the modern climate that is proving a little difficult! :D Once sold a more family orientated 4x4 could be purchased.

Anyone have any experience with the above conversion?

Thanks in advance,

K

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

If the jeep was registered in 04 as a commercial chances are all the bolt holes will still be there and undamaged.

You should be able to pick up the seats and belts from someone who has converted the other way or from a scrappers. Somewhere like traynors in the north. The biggest drama would be getting a matching interior.

If you haven't had much trouble with the jeep I would be inclined to stick with what I had, the devil you know and all that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭746watts

I wouldn't go through all the hassle of converting it to passenger, rear seat belt fixing points are supposed to be welded closed on commercials, if not you're lucky. Still need garage report to certify seat belts are installed professionally etc. I suggest trade it in against a passenger landcruiser or 3.0lt Hilux crewcab. Plenty of towing ability with better fuel economy than 3.2 Paj.
    Shop around before you start converting to passenger, you might get a surprisingly good value trade in..............

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the VRT alone will be €4k. not worth it IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

And around €1k or more a year road tax as a passenger vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

you'd buy and run a family hatchback with the cost of the conversion and tax and VRT etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Kine

All,

Many thanks for the input. Hadn't thought of the VRT implications.

Back to the drawing board (unless anyone wants a 2004 commercial Pajero ;))

K

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭PaddyBloggit

Kine wrote: »
    All,

Many thanks for the input. Hadn't thought of the VRT implications.

Back to the drawing board (unless anyone wants a 2004 commercial Pajero ;))

K

Am in the market .... but hoping to source locally. :)

Advertisement