Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cavity filling older house

Options
  • 03-01-2010 12:24am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Guys,
    Would appreciate some advice please.

My parents house built 1969, 100mm cavity, 100mm blocks.

The house has double glazing doors and windows. Solid fuel range heating the house.

Spent a night there last nite and boy but its cold, its a coastal house also so it gets a nice wind from the sea but last nite the condensation was streaming down the walls and once the range burnt out the heat escaped rapidly.

Now what I am suggesting to my Dad is to get the walls pumped, we will put insullation in the ceiling space ourselves but that has to be delayed since we have to refelt the roof and re-tile it.

Also MAYBE would it be an idea to put some insulated backed plasterboard?? AGain we will be doing this ourselves, possibly just taping it and painting it.

My main question is with regards the pumped insulation as I am not sure whats best. I know there are beads and also foam. Then I also so blown yellow wool!

What types are there and what would you choose?

Also, IF we have to refelt the roof, my Dad said maybe some of it could blow away if we used the beads!!!! I doubt this but maybe I am wrong :)

I appreciate you assistance as I want to get this done for them ASAP as its cat living in a house this cold!

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭746watts

Felting and retiling might have to wait for better weather. Defo bead insulate the external walls (Parents house done 15years ago or so), makes a huge difference. 35% of heat escapes through roof, so what you could do while waiting for better roofing weather is to put in mineral glass wool insulation (100-150mm) between joists and then after roof tiles are done blow in beads on top to increase insulation effect to 300mm.
    Insulated slabs are very good but factor in cost of redecoration, best to skim over whole surface as taped joints will be visible through paint I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

There are lots of threads here on different cavity fill insulation.
    There are Gov grants for wall & attic retro-fit insulation.

I wouldn't wait till the roof is felted & re-tiled - I agree with 746watts, insulate attic asap. Then increase to 300mm thick once roof is finished.

Dry-lining might be over-kill in your situation, as the cavity fill & attic insulation will give great savings. The cost of internal dry-lining, moving sockets & radiators, disruption/ mess plus plastering skim & decoration costs mean it won't be as cost effective. So its worth being sure you need it. Price re-felting roof, cavity fill insulation & attic insulation before you committ funds to drylining.

There are plasterboards available where the joints are "taped & filled" i.e you plaster the joints only. The plastered joints are sanded to give a finish that can be painted - no tape visible - very popular in commercial projects as its faster and cheaper to do than a skim coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

yop wrote: »
    Guys,
    Would appreciate some advice please.

My parents house built 1969, 100mm cavity, 100mm blocks.

The house has double glazing doors and windows. Solid fuel range heating the house.

Spent a night there last nite and boy but its cold, its a coastal house also so it gets a nice wind from the sea but last nite the condensation was streaming down the walls and once the range burnt out the heat escaped rapidly.

Now what I am suggesting to my Dad is to get the walls pumped, we will put insullation in the ceiling space ourselves but that has to be delayed since we have to refelt the roof and re-tile it.

Also MAYBE would it be an idea to put some insulated backed plasterboard?? AGain we will be doing this ourselves, possibly just taping it and painting it.

My main question is with regards the pumped insulation as I am not sure whats best. I know there are beads and also foam. Then I also so blown yellow wool!

What types are there and what would you choose?

Also, IF we have to refelt the roof, my Dad said maybe some of it could blow away if we used the beads!!!! I doubt this but maybe I am wrong :)

I appreciate you assistance as I want to get this done for them ASAP as its cat living in a house this cold!

Thanks

Yop same problem in our parents house. The biggest gain was from the new windows plus the attic insulation. We havent pumped the house yet, but the difference the new insulation in attic is making is hard to believe. Its sitting way above the roof joists not, like the old pink stuff just level wiht it!. The windows made a difference as well. Ill get the full spec of it....

Advertisement