Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't want to insult anyone's intelligence here, but

Options
  • 02-01-2010 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭

Does anyone here believe in evolution?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Already did a poll on this that can help answer that. :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055750448&highlight=evolution

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭chozometroid

Is it an insult to intelligence to question if someone believes in a theory?

But to answer: YES, some or all believe in evolution to varying degrees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I believe it is likely that evolution is the way by which God developed life. I don't see any reason why they have to be incompatible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

branie wrote: »
    Does anyone here believe in evolution?

It's been discussed a million times before. The vast majority of them do,albeit guided by God. A small minority are creationists.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭chozometroid

Xluna wrote: »
    It's been discussed a million times before. The vast majority of them do,albeit guided by God. A small minority are creationists.
    Creationists may believe in evolution. It just depends on to what scale.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

I dont consider myself a creationist, but a Catholic who believes and reads Genesis literally, so I guess that makes me in the eyes of a evolutionist a creationist then? :pac:

The only really acceptable form of belief in Neo-Darwinian Evolution (as in the scientific one) is one whereby everything could take place through natural means without the need for God's input. There is of course nothing wrong with saying that He guided it all the way or He could choose to interfere at a point. Saying, however, that His interference was necessary to guide evolution through a difficult patch is not actually evolution.
    Of course, I'm only talking in the material sense here.:)

I will also add that the most intelligent system is the system that sustains itself without any input. To use my creationist friends analogy of Boeing 747, which is the more intelligently designed 747?
    -The one that flies and repairs itself needing no maintenance or repair from an engineer.
    -Or the one that needs the engineer to consistently fix it and upgrade it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭suspectpackage

You can tell very quickly if it's worth engaging in a conversation with someone on this topic if they don't "believe in evolution".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

You can tell very quickly if it's worth engaging in a conversation with someone on this topic if they don't "believe in evolution".

I had a debate with a professer, scientist from america on this that lasted a whole week. He was Catholic who believed in it, and he lost the debate.

anyhow I saw the bait from the moment I laid eyes on the topic, and I'm not biting this time. :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I know a woman who literally believes that Adam and Eve were the first two humans, but that we evolved from apes as well, cant be both love

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Yes it can.... theoretically.

I had a debate with a professer, scientist from america on this that lasted a whole week. He was Catholic who believed in it, and he lost the debate.

anyhow I saw the bait from the moment I laid eyes on the topic, and I'm not biting this time. :pac::pac::pac:

He wasn't by any chance arguing that evolution does not predict a monkey from a man?:pac:
    :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Colpriz

latest joke...I see some men who are monkeys..but I dont see many monkeys turning into men..ja ja!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I dont consider myself a creationist, but a Catholic who believes and reads Genesis literally, so I guess that makes me in the eyes of a evolutionist a creationist then? :pac:

As in you literally believe the world was created in 6 days?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Braine, I'm locking this thread due to repetition. If you intended to approach this topic from a different angle then PM me. If not I suggest doing a search on this forum under the word "evolution".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement