Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A little help using the library

Options
  • 02-01-2010 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭

Hey there,

I want to get a copy of a National Geographic periodical out of the Library. I search for the NG magazines on the online catalogue thingy and I'm given an entry called "national geographic magazine" with a date of 1949 on it. All that's said about it is "Status: in. Santry Stacks (use call slip) - PAM W.1 no.1"

There's also an electronic resource thing available, which has a date of c.1959 on it. But the entry lists 2 sources, both of which say full text available: 1995.

For the record, I'm looking for the NG magazine release that covered the Moon Landings in 1969.

Why is this so difficult to find?! I had imagined that TCD would have a copy of every release for decades now.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I'm out of practice with the library and don't really know the stella system.

Founds this if it helps.

and this.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

http://library.catalogue.tcd.ie/record=b11211966~S6

Shelfmark PER 86-829
    Location Berkeley Stacks (use call slip)
    Holdings 1948-1969

Shelfmark PER 910
    Location Ussher, Periodicals Reading Room
    Holdings 1970-,
    v.198:no.2 (AUG 2000)- v.210:no.5 (NOV 2006),
    v.211:no.1 (JAN 2007) ,
    v.211:no.3 (MAR 2007)- v.211:no.5 (MAY 2007),
    v.212:no.1 (JUL 2007)- v.216:no.6 (Dec. 2009)

So 1969 ones are in Berkeley Stacks and more recent ones from 1970 onwards are in the Ussher periodicals reading room.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Berkeley stacks? I take it so that they're to be found in the Berkeley, even if they're "stacks"

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

Its in the Berkeley but you still have to use a call slip to get it me thinks. It shouldn't take as long to come as the ones in Santry. So you use need the call number PER 86-829 and the volume numbers of national geographic that you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

Its in the Berkeley but you still have to use a call slip to get it me thinks. It shouldn't take as long to come as the ones in Santry. So you use need the call number PER 86-829 and the volume numbers of national geographic that you want.

Quite right - that's what "Use call slip" means. If you don't know the volume number of the issue that you want, then just put the date instead. If you're not sure of the exact date, just write the month, like "July 1969" instead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 wowiee

I have different question about using the library. There is a book I want to take out of counter reserve for the time you are allowed to , i think its 5 hours. However the sticker on the book has ''PERM RES'' on it. Does that mean that it can only be read in the counter reserve area. Thanks a million for any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

wowiee wrote: »
    I have different question about using the library. There is a book I want to take out of counter reserve for the time you are allowed to , i think its 5 hours. However the sticker on the book has ''PERM RES'' on it. Does that mean that it can only be read in the counter reserve area. Thanks a million for any help.

The "PERM RES" means that the book is permanently part of the Counter Reserve colllection, so you may only borrow it for five hours and you may only read it within the library. Sometimes, books are moved from LEN to Counter Reserve on a temporary basis - for example, around exam time. These books work in the same way as PERM RES books, but they are not permanently part of Counter Reserve and will eventually be returned to LEN.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Unshelved wrote: »
    Quite right - that's what "Use call slip" means. If you don't know the volume number of the issue that you want, then just put the date instead. If you're not sure of the exact date, just write the month, like "July 1969" instead.
    I thought call slips weren't used anymore, i.e. that you had to request books from stacks over the catalogue system. Apologies if it's a stupid question.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

I thought call slips weren't used anymore, i.e. that you had to request books from stacks over the catalogue system. Apologies if it's a stupid question.

Not a stupid question at all. Most (but not all) books can be requested by online requests through the catalogue.

That facility isn't available yet for periodicals or journals - like National Geographic - so you'll still have to fill out the old-fashioned call-slip.

Advertisement