Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

One foot in front of the other for 2010...

• 02-01-2010 10:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭

.........and we'll see how far I get!

So new year, new plan, new log.

The next few weeks are going to be about building a small base from which to jump into a training plan for races later in the year. I’ve kept the millage fairly small but at the same time, the distances would have been unimaginable for me this time last year, when I was happy if I could manage 10mins continuous running.

I will also be continuing pilates classes, doing some cycling, visiting the gym about twice a week and learning to swim. This is all while I am still hanging out in the sunny south east. If I get a job that takes me away (which is the hope) I will have to re-jig the training plan.

Eating habits are also about to be tidied up! Christmas was very messy and I do not feel the best for it. Plus to be within my ideal weight range I need to drop about 5kg and ideally will drop around 10kg.

My goals are to run at least one of each of the following distances in races with aims at the moment for the following times, although if all goes well (or horribly wrong) I may adjust them closer to races.

5km – sub 29mins
    8km – sub 47mins (current pb 50mins plus some seconds – can’t remember how many)
    or
    5mile – sub 48mins to get in those last few metres.
    10km – sub 60mins

[FONT=&quot]Maybe later in the year I might consider a half marathon or a 10miler – I’ll see how the first half of the year goes first.[/FONT]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Okay so this run was technically last year but it was in the spirit of this log so details are below:

3.07km in 20mins 23sec - avg pace of 6: 38min/k

Splits:
    Km 1 - 7:32
    Km 2 - 6:15
    Km 3 - 6:13

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Hey Spaceylou ... best of luck in 2010. Here's to reaching new pb's!

First offical run of the year today. Did just 4.5k in half an hour, average pace 6:34min/k. Bit of a hill at the start, but wanted to get it in this week because its on the route for the winter league here, which I plan on running for the rest of the league, starting thursday.

Splits:
    1. 8:25min
    2. 6:14min
    3. 6:20min
    4: 5.27min (did a bit of sprinting between lampposts here cause i found a stretch that was ice free :p)
    5 (478m): 2:56min @ avg 6:08min/k

Summary
    Today:
    This Week: 4.48km
    This Month:
    4.48km
    This Year: 4.48km

No running yesterday - bit of a cold so didn't want to risk it, did go for a brisk walk on the beach though, all bundled up in hat, scarf etc...

Pilates class this evening - probably the last one for a while, cause I can't really justify signing up for another batch when i have signed up for swimming classes and plan on going to the gym couple of times a week as well - it all money, which is not something I have a lot of at the mo.

4km planned for the morning - ease myself into the week of running.

Didn't run this morning cause I feared I would fall and break my neck on the ice!

Got out this evening though, after things were mostly thawed out - set out for 4km but went a little over as I wasn't really sure of where was a good 4km route from my house. Did almost 5 in just under half an hour. Felt good to be running :)

Splits:
    1. 5:23
    2. 5:59
    3. 5:56
    4. 6:02
    5. 5:08 (859m)

Summary
    Today:
    This Week: 4.86km
    This Month:
    9.34km
    This Year: 9.34km

• Advertisement

Started in the gym today. 1 mile on the dreadmill to warm up and then a resistance training programme. Essentially I have 10 stations on my list (7 focusing on upper body, 3 on legs) where at the moment I am doing 3 sets of 10 reps each....instructor was lovely and am to review with her in a month, see how I am going and what might need tweaking so my body doesn't get used to the same old routine.

Then walk home in the snow - what ever happened to global warming??

Summary
    Today:
    This Week: 6.47km
    This Month:
    10.95km
    This Year: 10.95km

Last few days have been a disaster. Have done sweet f**k all!!

Thursday decided against running on the ice, especially with a bit of a cold. Went for a brisk walk instead, all bundled up with more clothes than i could bear if I were running. Probably should have run, cause once I got out of my estate the footpaths weren't too bad.

Friday cold got worse, and was feeling chesty so rather than risk it, stayed indoors most of day drinking hot drinks and anything else I could think of to stop cold taking hold in my chest - which actually seems to have worked.

Yesterday got up late and generally ran out of time to go to gym and didn't fancy the look of the roads or footpaths for running outside and today - today it is snowing and I am not even going to attempt running on that - knowing my luck, I'd fall and break an arm or something and not going to make it to gym either.

On the bright side cold has retreated back up into head, and now just have a mildly stuffy nose and I just did some stretches, and pilates so not a total couch potato today.

Next week will be better - temperatures have to rise at some point!

Gym session today - did 2.42km on the threadmill to warm up followed by circuit of weights and lots of stretching.

1st km @ 9.2km/hr c. 6:30min/km pace
    600m @10.5km/hr c. 5:40min/km
    400m @ 10km/hr c. 6min/km
    420m @ 9.5km/hr c. somewhere between 6 and 6:30?

Summary
    Today:
    This Week: 2.42km
    This Month:
    13.37km
    This Year: 13.37km

Roads are runnable again - woohoo!!! Set out for 5km, at the moment not stressing about pace, just doing what seems comfortable - so did the 5 in just over 30mins at avg pace 6:05min/km. The rain and wind were painful - it stings!!! But did feel good to be outside rather than on the dreadmill and got to use my new cosy headband with ear bits :D

Splits:

Km 1: 5:50 - okay this was possibly bit fast!
    Km 2: 6:12
    Km 3: 6:10
    Km 4: 6:09
    Km 5: 6:16

Summary
    Today:
    This Week: 7.44km
    This Month:
    18.39km
    This Year: 18.39km

Gym session this morning - 1.64k on the threadmill at 6.31min/km as a warm up - weights circuit, and lots of stretching.

Winter league tomorrow night :)

Summary
    Today:
    This Week: 9.08km
    This Month:
    20.03km
    This Year: 20.03km

• Advertisement

Winter League was tonight down here in the deise, knee being all better I decided to run instead of stewarding this week. Stuck the 2mile course which I would do in training from time to time when I want a hill. Now I know it meant to be fun, rather than super compeditive but put me at a starting line with a bunch of other people and I gonna be a wee bit compeditive, so it kinda race like in atmosphere (in my head anyway). It is a staggered start and because I hadn't done any of the previous weeks I was given a small handicap of only 2mins. Ended up passing out everyone that was ahead of me and being the first back into the track and the first round the track to the finish. :D

So while my time, was by no means the fastest, was kinda like coming first in a race...hehehe and certainly gave me a bit of a boost. Don't have my offical time, but reckon was around 21mins for 2 miles...

Summary
    Today:
    4.22k (the 2 miles plus c. a km warmup)
    This Week: 13.30km
    This Month:
    24.25km
    This Year: 24.25km

No running today - some pilates and stretching this morning and a swimming lesson this evening. Was good, but there is no rest in it, we were constantly going and focusing on technique and proper body position. Felt good, although I have one or two bad habits I need to unlearn.

Run scheduled for the morning - not sure how long. My 'plan' calls for 6km but I am meeting someother people on an organised run, so it'll prob be longer - I'll see how I feel and take it handy anyway. Feeling my legs are gonna be a bit tired after my swimming efforts tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Hi spacylou, enjoying your log so far. Your goals are very similar to mine- sub 60 min 10k etc. Best of luck with it all. Im liking your summary thing so I hope you dont mind if I steal it for my log:)

Hi Bally - don't mind at all, I 'borrowed' it from someone elses log myself, cause I liked the idea. Best of luck with the goal this year. :D

Body feeling a bit tired this morning after the swim last night but had arranged to join a group running at 10am. Had been told they took it nice and handy....famous last words eh!! Most of the group were heading for a 10miler which is a bit beyond me at this point so I said at the outset that i would most likely cut off early, and in fairness there was a few others with the same plan.

The pace was a bit fast for me as well, so I dropped to the back, I didn't mind if they lost me but one of the girls was very nice and fell back to meet my pace. All in all I did 7.74km in under 45mins. Don't have splits cause garmin got confused (probably cause i hit the wrong button and stuff). Do have a blister though. :(

Summary
    Today:
    7.74km
    This Week: 21.04km
    This Month:
    31.99km
    This Year: 31.99km

Haven't updated in a few days...Sunday went for a swim, but no running and yesterday wasn't feeling the best so didn't do any exercise!

Today ran just over 5.5km in just over 35mins at avg pace of 6:31k/min. Splits below and are a little all over the place. First one bit quick, cause I was cold and the very slow one was influenced by a strong wind!

1: 5:52
    2: 6:21
    3: 7:41
    4: 6:06
    5: 6:19
    600m - 4:05

Summary
    Today:
    5.6km
    This Week: 5.6km
    This Month:
    37.59km
    This Year: 37.59km

Gym day today....once again the only female in the place, so my puny little arms felt very inferier to all the dudes lifting loads!

Did 2.54 on the treadmill, at 6:31min/k followed by weights circuit and lots of stretching.

Summary
    Today:
    2.54km
    This Week: 8.14km
    This Month:
    40.13km
    This Year: 40.13km

Bit of a disaster last week, not ill but not feeling the mae west either!! Hopefully this week will be better.

Gym session this morning - usual story. Did 1.6k on the treadmill followed by toning focusing on core and upper body mainly followed by lots of stretching.

Planning on going to the track later - nervous cause haven't gone to one of these sessions before.

Summary
    Today:
    1.61km
    This Week: 1.61km
    This Month:
    41.74km
    This Year: 41.74km

Well went to the Waterford AC intervals training this evening - really enjoyed it and I learned stuff! Legs feeling pretty tired now but sure that's okay - they can rest all night!! Hehe :D

Now I know I'm sure I had read it somewhere before but it wasn't really until tonight that I realised the difference your arms can make to your speed when you are doing a fast bit. For the same leg effort could go good bit faster once I remembered to use my arms! Of course when I said this to my mum when I got home, she looked at me as if that was the most obvious thing anyone ever said - this the same woman who won't run, cause it gives her a headache and she doesn't like to be sweaty!! :rolleyes:

Between the warm-up, warm-down, a bunch of 100s; 200s; 300s; and one 400 and the recovery running inbetween did just over 15 laps of the track - so 6km all in all.

Summary
    Today:
    7.61km (1.61 earlier on treadmill at 2% incline + 6km on track this evening)
    This Week: 7.61km
    This Month:
    47.74km
    This Year: 47.74km

Legs feeling very tired after yesterday, headed out with a plan to do 5.5 or over. Once I got into it, just got into a rythm (spelling??) was grand. Did just over 6k in 38:58 @ avg pace 6:28min/km. Splits below.

1. 6:14
    2. 6:11
    3. 6:36 (no idea what happened here)
    4. 6:43
    5. 6:17
    6: 6.24 (this included stopping to tie shoelace)

Summary
    Today:
    6.04km
    This Week: 13.65km
    This Month:
    53.78km
    This Year: 53.78km

• Advertisement

Gym this morning - did just over 2k on the treadmill, nice and slow cause legs feeling tired, usual weights circuit and lots of stretches. Winter League continues tomorrow - hope legs won't be too tired cause I'd like to beat my time 2 weeks ago!

Summary
    Today:
    2.01km
    This Week: 15.66km
    This Month:
    55.79km
    This Year: 55.79km

Stupid stupid knee......felt somewhat twingy after last few sessions so I have iced it like the physio told me to before christmas with the torn tendon, and lots of stretching.....but it wasn't pain exactly, more stiff and physio also had said pain bad, stiffness ok just take it easy and stretch it out.....

But today....today stiffness progressed to bloody painful, it hurts to stand and it hurts to walk, it kinda aches to do nothing and it even hurts to drive - left knee so if I had an automatic I'd be sorted, but alas, I don't!

So flipping annoyed. Missing winter league tonight....going to rest it again tomorrow but have a swimming lesson tomorrow night that I do not want to miss, although if it continues to hurt might just go for the tips etc and keep swimming to a min. :(:(:(

Begining to wonder if there is some underlieing problem that the physio didn't pick up on when I went with the torn tendon...cause surely once its healed its healed and i didn't feel anything give, it just really.....tender I suppose is the right word! And fecking annoying!!!

Advertisement