Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

just went healer

Options
  • 02-01-2010 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭

trying to learn when to heal.( im a 74 pally ) and to make up for my noobness ive bought all my gear from the ah / crafted it . then went ahead and enchanted it all ( ive not started questing in northrend yet )

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Outland&n=Nickeoli

Bonus Damage:1026
    Bonus Healing: 1026
    Hit Rating: 34
    Crit Chance: 19.58% holy
    Haste Rating: 45
    Mana Regen: 137

im looking for tips ect on how to heal instances

i did 3 in the last day

first one kicked me at that dino boss ( cant remember the instance name ) when i lost line of sight on the mt

second one wiped when they wouldnt listen to me saying "oom " two pulls before the tank died . they just kept pulling

third one went pritty well in uk becides wiping once at a trash mob and letting one dps die at the end due to me not looking at his hps .

currently im using grid and dbm but ive not started using anything else . ( is there a way to set grid to display only things that i can dispell when the icons appear? or is there anything else i should be using to make sure my mana dosnt run out ect..

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

What i suggest is you grab yourself an addon called vuhdo.
    Its simply fantastic for healers,not only is it a great healing addon but it shows time left from your hots,cooldowns,buffs debuffs for every person in the party or raid all on nice neat raid bars.
    It really offers a wealth of information.

Heres a link to download vuhdo
    http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/vuhdo.aspx

some tutorial videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jfk7E6z18XU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80Q0M2goO7Y
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK4h9YjDAq0

The thing about healing is there are no real rotations, you gotta think on the fly what heal to use for a specific task and this is exactly why my main is a healer, its just so interesting.
    All i can say is the more you heal the more you will understand what to do when and how.
    There are loads of guides on sites like tankspot or ensidia, search on youtube and im sure you will gwt tonnes of useful vids.
    Pugs not waiting for you to regen mana is your biggest foe along with players that never played healer or know whats involved.
    Regarding your gear i wouldnt bother enchanting anything as you will replace it all so fast.

First off i cant recommend vuhdo addon enough, checkout the tutorials etc, its an immense help to any healer.

Best of luck and i hope ive helped you somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

the dps that died at the end of uk was 100% his fault, he either died from the smash the boss does or becuase hes a complete tard that stood in the weapon the boss spawns in phase 2. which hits for high dmg, even in normal

edit. this is what im talkin about

Dark Smash: Deals 8750–11250 Shadow damage to all enemies within a 10 yard cone in front of the caster. In addition, deals 1750 to 2250 Shadow damage to all enemies, knocking them down for 2 seconds. 3s cast, 2s cooldown.

Shadow Axe: Throws a Shadow Axe at a random target. The axe will arrive at the target and spin in place for 10 sec, dealing 1750 to 2250 damage per second to all nearby enemies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Finch*

i took up healing on my pallys as well and started using healbot which i find fantastic, there's a video on youtube of how to set it up and everything. i haven't used vuhdo so i can't comment on that, but certainly healbot had me healign my first dungeons for the first day without a single death which i was quite proud of

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Outland&n=Frytex is my toon, it bothers me that i can't use my arcanite reaper or heirloom shoulders / chest in holy spec =[

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK6RcjQGFvc is the youtube video on how to set it up, it just looked a lot simpler than grid anyway, gl xD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Finch*

http://laserchicken.blogspot.com/2009/02/holy-paladin-pre-naxx-pre-heroic-gear.html and here is a list of pre heroic gear that's easy to obtain, don't know how up to date it is but when i get back on the pally i'll be aiming for this gear anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

no point worrying about pre-hc gear, just get to 80 and farm hc's for a few days, do the new hc's + toc as much as possible and you'll be fully kitted out in 232 gear in a week... easily...

as for addons, grid and dbm is pretty much all you need (Probably need palypower or whatever it is for when u start raiding).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 dubhdara3

I leveled as a Retriadin, but shortly after I dinged 80, some people in my guild asked me to heal… which I initially hated, I didn’t have the Mana for it, didn’t have the experience and most importantly didn’t have the addon’s

Obviously apart from the gear, which made a massive difference to my mana pool as well as my MP5, the best thing I did was download a healing addon. I have tried healing bot, on the advice of our raid healer, but could get the hang of it. I now use vuhdo which I found really easy, and generally means I can sit back and relax during hc’s and raids instead of having to run around like a headless chicken or worry about agro and dps… I actually find it quite relaxing now

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I got grid onto my resto druid, and omfg, how you could heal without is beyond me.

THE ESSENTIAL HEALING MOD

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

You can't as a druid. If you are 'healing' as a druid without grid, then you are doing it wrong.

Any other class should be fine without it, but I wouldn't call any other class as a healer either way :P

^^ Not trolling... it's a joke... STEP AWAY FROM THE RAGE-REPLY!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

I don't use Grid, I use oUF_Freebgrid instead as I use SpartanUI and Freebgrid sits into it much nicer.
    If you're just starting out, the addon Clique can help you also, can map your spells to mouse buttons or whatever you like and have it integrate with click on party/raid or grid frame - you'll get bored though after a while but it's ok to help you out at the start.

Just prioritise your healing as you see fit and never ever heal a warlock, always let them die, dirty filthy life tapping noobs !

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Nehaxak wrote: »
    Just prioritise your healing as you see fit and never ever heal a warlock, always let them die, dirty filthy life tapping noobs !
    But we need 100% mana, 100% of the time :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

Finally bit the bullet and bought the Dual Spec, so I'm poor again :( But my dungeon healing is a walk in the park. Slap Earth Shield on the tank, and Chain Heal the rest. Simples! I made a mess of my talents the first time around, but it's a cheap fix, and it's not so bad that I can't wait for the next patch reset...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭EOA_Mushy

Grid is essential.

Remove all group frames to get a better view of whats going on.

Map every key you intend to use. 1 - 5 / Shift 1 - 5 / F1 - F5 / Shift F1 - F5

NB: Do not map anything you will likely self cast to F4.

Incase your slow:
    Self cast button = Alt
    Incase your really slow:
    Alt + F4 = :(
    Incase your me:
    Learn from mistake
    :o

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Xyo

mp5 on a paladin ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

2Espressi: Hey, Mushy, if /gkick and /gquit are in a boat, and /gkick jumps out, who's left in the boat?

I find vuhdo a lot better than Grid or healbot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Hey man, it's late/early, so I just kinda skimmed, but i've got a couple of suggestions. Mostly gear for now...

change your libram - you can pick up Venture Co. Libram of Mostly Holy Deeds pretty easily.

A big thing for paladin healers is mana back to avoid MP5 (it's not a case of avoiding gear that has MP5 on it, but avoiding the need to aim for MP5 on your gear).

Use these glyphs...

Major [Glyph of Holy Light]
    Major [Glyph of Seal of Light]
    Major [Glyph of Flash of Light]
    Minor [Glyph of the Wise]
    Minor [Glyph of Lay on Hands]
    Minor [Glyph of Blessing of Wisdom]

At lvl 80 you'll need them more, but you can still use what you can for now. Holy Light is handy if you have melee in your group, but can sometimes be overkill, and it IS random - it can overheal someone on 100% health, and not heal someone who's about to die. Seal of Light gives you more heals, and with low SP, it's very helpful especially if you're healing groups of 5, and not just a tank - you might not get a chance to get a 2nd heal on someone with low health (and people don't gear much for stamina when dps, and don't always know how to control their agro).
    Flash of Light also helps with bigger heals (crits) and from the crits, mana back. You also won't likely be casting Holy Light everywhere in 5 mans, and if you are, you're going to be casting slowly and might miss a heal. Aim for bigger heals on your fast cast Flash of Light.

Respec your talent tree - you don't need the points past divinity in prot. You won't be using Righteous Fury in a 5 man, and if you are, you'll pull the threat from the tank in most cases. Even grinding, you're better getting crit on spells so you'd hit a big Holy Shock rather than surviving slightly longer (which you can do by healing yourself anyway).
    You're better putting your points more into the ret tree - Heart of the Crusader & BoM for your buffbot reasons. Then Conviction for extra crit.
    I'd say take out Aura Mastery as you won't really use it so much till you reach 80, and either PvP (a must) or have certain situational fights.

Now to help with your mana issues, I have a suggestion (some might think i'm mad suggesting this).

Helmet of the Steadfast Champion or Crusader's Ornamented Headguard and stick in Insightful Earthsiege Diamond - it's 600 mana back when it procs. You can get cheap 16sp gems to stick in it to make up what you might lose from your current helm. Won't be all the way there, but it'll help.

The Brilliant Saronite set is decent enough to keep you leveling, but if you see any gear that gives you more SP & Int (The int to give you extra SP, crit, and mana to help against pool problems), seriously consider it. As for enchants, push more for Int & Spellpower before you go for anything else. Haste is your cloak enchant, but that's the only place you'd be getting it. Crit is avoidable too, except for your boots (not much better). Your chest enchant, you could probably pick up +8 stats cheap enough now (considering mats availability). Ask around if anyone can help you out there.

Also as you're already a JC, you can use Figurine - Sapphire Owl and if you wanted more sockets, even Figurine - Twilight Serpent. You can use these as sockets to make up the metagem requirements as well (even 1 green 8int &mp5 or purple SP&stam along with a yellow int should work well)

You can regem these at any time, but you may find you at the very least use the Owl for a while at 80 if you keep healing.

As for healing, i'd strongly recommend Grid and Clique. There are reasons for them including accounting for latency/lag, and low CPU/mem usage, but at the end of the day it's personal preference. When you're in more intense healing situations you can decide on the best healing add-on that is essential for the omgwtfbesthealing. So for that reason you could also look at healbot - customizable, but works out of the box, and simple enough to learn.

Apart from that - keep Beacon on the tank, along with Sacred Shield (when you get it at 80), and try to stick more to flash of light if you can. Throw in a holy light if someone really gets hit hard, but remember it'll be a slow cast for the first one.

If you get into a really tight situation with a lot of damage going around, you can make a macro to cast Divine Favour along with Divine illumination and throw in a Holy Shock, followed by a flash of light (2 heals that'll take 2global cooldowns to cast about as much as a non crit holy light, but in less time than it takes to cast a holy light), and then follow it up with a load of holy lights (with Flash of light to top it up), with the reduced mana cost while illumination is active.

It's all pretty fun tbh. Enjoy it while it lasts because a lot of people I know who play paladin, came up as healers, and ditched it for ret or prot when they hit 80.

(*Random thought - I wonder if we could convince some of the site admins to help setup a mouse over link popup for wowhead items.....though it might be resource intensive. Would be worth asking to see how easy/difficult it would be to impliment*)

As for healing, i'd strongly recommend Grid and Clique. There are reasons for them including accounting for latency/lag, and low CPU/mem usage, but at the end of the day it's personal preference.

Very true but so too does vuhdo.
    Vuhdo takes the best from Grid/Clique and healbot and forms what i believe to be the best healing addon for a Priest atleast.
    One major plus it has over Grid/clique is it allows you to bing all your mouse inputs including scroll mouse wheel up/down, [scroll mouse up/down doesnt work for me on grid/clique]
    This doesnt sound huge but when your main is a priest with a lot more healing skills and options than any other healer class the extra bind options make a massive difference.

I love Grid,ive used it for years the only flaw is the one mentioned above, ofcourse its not a flaw if you are playing a non priest healer.
    For example i still use grid with my resto druid alt and holy pala alt mainly because i have vuhdo customised for my priest with a setup not suited for druid,pala shaman etc hence i leave Grid on in its default form for my alts.

You cant go wrong with any of these healing addons, they make healing so much more fun,once you have a setup you are comfy with you will never go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Above post is very true in relation to a good healing setup.

Since I got grid my healing efficeny and overall skill has shot up, healing raids now with little trouble, I'm well chuffed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

' wrote:
    [cEMAN**;63992340'](*Random thought - I wonder if we could convince some of the site admins to help setup a mouse over link popup for wowhead items.....though it might be resource intensive. Would be worth asking to see how easy/difficult it would be to impliment*)

If I remember rightly, that was asked of before but thought too much of an overhead to install just for the sake of one forum. Rightly so I guess but it would be nice nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Nehaxak wrote: »
    If I remember rightly, that was asked of before but thought too much of an overhead to install just for the sake of one forum. Rightly so I guess but it would be nice nonetheless.
    yeah i suggested it ages ago and the jist was that it wouldn't be worth it for one forum that doesnt get too much traffic

• Advertisement
Advertisement