Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless and Wired connections not working together

Options
  • 02-01-2010 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

My Pc has a wireless card and a ethernet port, running W7 64bit

The Pc is connected to the net via the wi-fi

Sometimes I hook things up to the ethernet to transfer over files to my xbox, the only problem being that I instantly lose my internet connection once i connect my ethernet up.

The adapters are on diffrent Ip ranges, and the wifi network is the higher of the priorities

The ethernet can transfer when both are connected, I can also ping my wireless router when both are connected too.

Any ideas on whats going on?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

Do you have the wireless and ethernet connections bridged?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I do not sir

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Make sure that the wired ethernet connection properties for TCP/IP don't have a default gateway address set, this will F**k-up the wireless connection when both are connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I dont have one specifically set, its set to automatically assign IP, would this be a problem?

Ip range of wireless is 192.168.1.x
    Ip range of Wired 192.168.2.x

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Likely that both DHCP scopes are issuing default gateways and this is confusing things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

If necessary set the wired connection to be static IP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

As far as Im aware you can not have them both on automatic. Set the ethernet to static, this makes more sense anyways when connecting items directly. Id nearly say set the wifi to static too, can do any harm.

Advertisement