Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulated boards (Timber battens on wall)

Options
  • 02-01-2010 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭

Maybe a stupid question but am preparing to install 62.5mm o/a insulated boards to my wall. Carpenter has prepared the 50x38mm treated battens ALL Horizontial to the wall. Not vertically as speced. He has allowed for the windows and sockets to be framed.
    Despite what it says in the Xtratherm specs, will this actually make any difference to the slabs stability? Should I insist he remove them and fit the battens vertically as, once the slab is lifted in place, I never want to revist this aspect of the build again.
    Any comments really welcome as he is hoping to start the slabbing early next week.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭746watts

only reason I can think of him doing then horizontally is it makes it piss easy to fit the slabs as he won't have to worry about the slab edge being plumb on a vertical batten. Downside of horizontal battens is the slab edge wont be fully supported along its length and the skim "may" crack easier on the joint. might not either.

Anther option you have, fit insulated slabs directly to the wall with the plastic fixers (place slab against wall and drill 8mm hole through into the blockwork and gently hammer the plastic fixer home until it make a slight impression in the slab until flush) used these when converting brothers garage into a bedroom. Skimmed over. perfect job. Better insution effect than using battens which have a bridging effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Manufacturers also recommend timber battens around the perimeter of the wall to act as a firestop - prevent flame spreading behind the slab.

Have you allowed for future wall shelving or curtain poles?

What height are your ceilings? If its over 2400mm high then this might have an implication - might result in less waste of boards. Why not ask why He put them horizontally - if you are not satisfied with the answer / reason then have them redone vertically - its your home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Is your house Timber Frame or blockwork.
    If its TF, then horizontal counterbattening is the only way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

Having the battens vertical sure will make it easier should you ever need to run some cables down behind the boards in the future.
    There will be very little issue with a 62.5mm board flexing once the battens are at 400mm centres.

Advertisement