Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help booking our first ski trip for this month?

Options
  • 01-01-2010 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Two of us are looking to fly out on 18/01/10 for one week. I cannot find any package deals that fly on a monday so we will have to book it all separately. We are looking to only spend about €500 each on flights hotel, pass and rental.

Can anyone recommend a good ski resort and hotels and how to get there?

Neither of us have been on a ski trip before so any help would be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭746watts

it will be a miracle to get all that for 500.........
    I went to andorra and the same cost 900.
    Soldeu El Tarter (Andorra) is good for beginners. Fly from Dub to Toulouse and 3.5 hrs bus transfer. Also brother & wifey has been to heaps of places and they are gone to somewhere near Les Tres Alps this year (cant think of the name sorry).

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭emmo16

I was thinking 500 would enough because I saw a few packages to Andorra for 400 but we could spend upto about 650 for the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭The Big Gig

I've done the following for feb to soll.
    Flight to Munich 130 Sunday to Friday return
    ski pass x 4 days 140
    board x 4 days 60
    accommodation 240
    car hire 75
    €645
    the above is based on 5 sharing accommodation and 4 sharing the car!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

You'll be very unlikely to find a package deal that does anything other than Sat-Sat, or Sun-Sun for Andorra.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Not quite your dates but here goes,
    Ryanair to Memmingen return Jan 16-23, €80 aprox.
    Train to Schruns Austria, did not price but probably about €50 return.
    Special deal that week in resort, 7 day liftpass €165.
    Special deal also on accomodation, stay 7 days, pay for 5. Website shows B+B from €25, so €125.
    Ski and boot hire, €80 approx.
    One weeks ski holiday in excellent area, (200+ kms of piste), €500.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

generally all packages go from sat to sat! and it is much much easier to book a package especially if its your first time? currently there are packages from 350 - 400 with some operators... Is your budget a big concern? skking isnt a cheap holiday, a ski pass will cost best part of E200, then you need to hire equipment... what age are you?

Thanks for the replys guys.

We have had to change our dates to the 25th to the 31 of Jan. I rang around and theres no chance we will get a monday flight with a package. I'd love to book a package for our first trip but the dates just dont suite at the moment.

I found this site http://www.coveyski.com run by some guys from mayo in Samoens*France they have a week in a apt for €550 and can organise the rental and ski passes and transfers from Geneva . Flights work out at 380 for the two of us. http://www.j2ski.com/ski_resorts/France/Samoens.html

Loobylou would you have any links to where your going that sounds like a very reasonble offer and a nice place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

The area is called Montafon, the main town accessible by rail is Schruns. I've been there 4 times in the last year, not this year though as Ryanair no longer fly to nearby Friedrichshafen. Its still doable from Memmingen, just means a longer transfer.
    Their website here http://www.montafon.at/ViewPage.asp?Site=MONTAFON2&PageID=294&Lang=199
    If you've any questions just let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭myxi

Hey

Not sure if this is too late, but me and 3 friends have booked a ski holiday to La Clusaz in the French Alps 19th - 26th Jan for less than 350 each!

Flights Dublin to Geneva €82
    Transfer Geneva to La Clusaz €60
    Accommodation €150 (booked on http://www.franceskiholiday.com)
    Ski Hire €68 (www.alpineresorts.com)

We're not buying a full ski pass because it is only our second year and last year we just bought a daily ticket (€8) for the main ski lift in the area which brought us to about 10 runs and then you can buy a ticket with 20 goes for the small lifts.

There's great value to be had booking yourself so shop around. La Clusaz is a small resort and we only found it because one of the girls boyfriends was working a season there last year!

Hope you find something!

PS We went the same dates last year and budget travel quoted us 980€ not including ski rental! Last year we managed to go for €275 because there was 7 of us sharing accommodation! This year is dearer!

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭arodabomb

Chamonix always seems to be cheap (before you get there).

We're going this year for:
    Flight €90 (And the board flies free, awesome offer)
    Accomodation €110
    Transfer €40
    Skipass: €240

So all in for €480

It gets better late season, if you take advantage of their accomodation and liftpass deals (called something like "Cham White Weeks), think we got it last year for €300 combo.

• Advertisement

Hey guys sorry for the late response I haven’t been on boards in a good while. Unfortunately due to work commitments we had to postpone the trip. Thanks for all the info we are defiantly going to be going by the end of the year and Ill be looking in to the above suggestions.

Advertisement