Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moisture

Options
  • 01-01-2010 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

We're buying a house and had an engineer to check things out. He found out with his moisture meter that there is excessive moisture levels in walls and floors. The walls were drylined before, but the house has not been heated or in any use for three years. Could this be the cause for the readings? I just went to the house when it had been heated for couple of days and it was very warm, so I wonder do we really need to dryline the walls again and dig up all the floors.

Thanks for advices! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭gillad

If there are no visible signs of dampness after 3 years with no heating then everything is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Im always a bit wary of these guys who base their conclusions on a moisture meter reading. These readings could indicate a problem or not depending on circumstances. If there isnt a problem with the house as it stands, I wouldnt go ripping out walls based on moisture meter readings.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 totaluser

The engineer said that the drylining material is wet and will rot. Wouldn't they dry up if we have the house heated for a longer period?
    Also I was wondering if mold would appear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭gillad

If the engineer is right and the timbers are wet,then you will have to dryline.There is only one way to know for sure what condition the timber is in behind the wall and that is to drill small holes,but you can`t do that in somebodys house.Get another guy to have a look and test for moisture,if he is of the same opinion then you may have to dryline.
    The insulation used in drylining is much better than anything used before so if you do dryline,you will have a better insulated house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

totaluser wrote: »
    The walls were drylined before, but the house has not been heated or in any use for three years.

When was the house built?
    If its an old stone or period building which has been drylined then it could have a problem of dampness or mould behind the drylining.

If the house was build a few years ago, with cavity wall construction, with dpm in floor & dpc around all external opes complying to Building Regulations then it is unlikely that you have a damp problem.

Get a second opinion and decide then. Houses that have not been lived in for a while get condensation, particularly at this time of year with such sub zero temp at night.

• Advertisement
Advertisement