Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with Aero on Windows 7

Options
  • 01-01-2010 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, for the last couple of days I've been having a problem after starting my PC. Aero doesn't seem to start up sometimes.. tool bars and the start menu etc load in the Windows Classic theme

I get a notification when it happens but it's vague to say the least.. - "windows could not connect to the system event notification service"

Has anyone experienced this?

Comments

Ah, this sounds like an identical problem in Vista where the RPC service fails to start due to corruption of the Winsock catalogue. Why RPC relies on Winsock I've no idea. Anyway, open a elevated command prompt and type

netsh winsock reset

Reboot after this. Not sure if Windows 7 is the same but I'd bet that it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Thanks man.. that's sorted it out :)

Sorry for the bump but this issue has arisen again over the last fortnight, and the above fix no longer works.

It's an intermittent problem and I can't find the cause of it. It happens on 50% of boots.. sometimes doing a system restore resolves it, other times it doesn't.

I use this PC for work, and it's really frustrating to see that dirty gray bar at the bottom of the screen.. I'm probably a bit obsessive over it but it really does do my head in!

Any other tips on how to fix it, or at least on how to find out what's causing it?

Screenshot

Are you still getting the error saying that it can't connect to the System Event Notification Service?

Karsini wrote: »
    Are you still getting the error saying that it can't connect to the System Event Notification Service?

Yeah, still getting them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement