Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting a Coach Licence Cat D

Options
  • 01-01-2010 4:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭

I've decided to add another string to my bow and apply for a Category D Licence. I have a full C licence.

Can some one talk me through the various stages of taking the test, in what order do you apply for each element (theory test /CPC's etc). Also, is it the same as a car in that you cannot sit a test until after 6 months has expired from issue of learners permit?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

trad wrote: »
    Also, is it the same as a car in that you cannot sit a test until after 6 months has expired from issue of learners permit?
    The 6 month rule only applies to tractors, motorcycles, mopeds, cars/small vans, car/small vans with trailer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Must be as convoluted as I thought. Here's my thoughts.
    Medical for licence application.
    Apply for Theory Test
    Sit Theory Test
    Apply for provisional / learners permit.
    Book CPC.
    Book Test
    Undergo instruction.
    Sit other CPC's
    Sit test.

What am I missing out on and in what order do you do / apply for what? I'm looking to sit the test in as short a time frame as is possible so sequence is importance.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

No need for medical, your C is good for 10 years. Apart from that you forgot the CPC theory tests, you need to have passed these before your practicaltests

Del2005 wrote: »
    No need for medical, your C is good for 10 years. Apart from that you forgot the CPC theory tests, you need to have passed these before your practicaltests

I think I had that covered in "sit other CPC's " Thanks for the reply. Thats €60 saved not having to see the doc.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

trad wrote: »
    Thats €60 saved not having to see the doc.
    ...assuming you've submitted one in the past ten years and you remembered to get him to tick D while he was at it? When did you get your first C learner permit?

You've to get the theory and (if applicable) the medical done, then get your learner permit. Once you have that, you've to do the two CPC theory tests and the driving test, in any order. After you have the CPC theory tests, you've to do the practical. Usually, you'd do the theory while you're learning to drive. Then you can do the practical and the driving together, and save renting a truck twice.

Don't forget, you've to do the periodic training aswell. I was talking to a fella the other day, thought that was only for people with acquired rights.

• Advertisement

Richie 15, I never held either a learners permit or a provisional C licence. I acquired my licence having undergone training in the security forces. And yes I passed a test by a DOE authorused examiner. Can't remember what the doc ticked on the form, last issue was about 8 years ago. I suppose safest thing is to get a medical done.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Your medical is still good if done 8 years ago. I only got medical done for C and got a learners permit for D without another medical

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭louth87

I'm looking to get my D licence over the next few months, just wondering do you have to sit the practical test in a full size coach?

i.e. we have 24/29/33 seaters, but do you need to do the test in a full size, say 52 seat coach?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

The amount of seats don't matter, as long as there's more than 16. It's the length and, I think, the GVW that matters. For a full list of representative vehicles, see here.

Category D
    If vehicle registered on or after 1/1/2004:
    Vehicles (buses) having passenger accommodation for more than 16 persons being at least 9 metres in length and capable of a speed of at least 80km/h.
    If vehicle registered before 01/01/2004: (I'm sure these are the wrong way around?)
    Vehicles (buses) having passenger accommodation for more than 16 persons, a length of at least 10 metres, a width of at least 2.4 metres and capable of a speed of at least 80km/h. The vehicle shall be fitted with anti-lock brakes, and recording equipment (tachograph).

By the way, there's no need to post the same query on two threads.

Advertisement