Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dynamite!! 2009 (Spoilers)

Options
  • 01-01-2010 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭

Bloody long card. Some good fights with some early stoppages. Just finished watching all the MMA fights on it. Shinya Aoki is such an ass hole. If this guy was in UFC after this fight then him against BJ Penn would be a massive massive fight.

This is what I'm talking about for those who haven't seen it yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFow5sZVGrM

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

yeah pretty unsportsmanlike by Aoki. He's one of my absolute favourite fighters but that was fairly uncool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Wow, what a tool

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭chordtype

He was one of my favourite fighters but I have no real tolerence for that kind of stuff when you know that the other guy is injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭cmb.

i was going to give aoki a pass and chalk it up to some of the pre fight comments and emotion got the better of him but after his comments at the post fight press conference i have to say im very disapointed in him

still, was the best dynamite show so far - a few poor stopages aside, can't complain about the fights

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

The early stoppages on the card were rediculous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭_oveless

There was a lot of jibber jabber exchanged at the the weigh ins and press conference so I'm not surprised. If Hirota had won I'd saw we'd have seen something similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

_oveless wrote: »
    There was a lot of jibber jabber exchanged at the the weigh ins and press conference so I'm not surprised. If Hirota had won I'd saw we'd have seen something similar.

Whatever about arrogance at winning but that kind of behaviour is way way over the top..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

I thought we werent allowed to talk about Japanese MMA due its links to Pro Wrestling?

Wasnt too much impressed either with the show big step down from the years prior at least UFC this weekend wont be like this :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Some pretty sick/slick moves by Aoki thoough.

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Some pretty sick/slick moves by Aoki thoough.

Now with English commentary:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭bustertherat

good event, although was it just me or did it seem that overeem and mousassi both fought absolute cans. seriosuly whats even the point ofthem having those matches?it serves no purpose to their careers.

aoki looked v good. it seemed like he knew exactly what he was doing, like he almost set out to break the arm. (did it break or just dislocate the shoulder?) .cant wait to see him in strikeforce this year. he would probably destroy most lw's bar bj.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭chordtype

good event, although was it just me or did it seem that overeem and mousassi both fought absolute cans. seriosuly whats even the point ofthem having those matches?it serves no purpose to their careers.

Well Kazuyuki Fujita is a pro wrestler (sorry) and is still a decent name in Japan. He rocked Fedor a few years ago but really stood little chance against Overeem, but the card was really lacking names.

As for Gary Goodridge, God only knows why he was put into that match other than to have somebody get beat by Mousasi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

A few questions re the video above:

Why did the guy not tap out? (or did he and I missed it)

Is it not the refs responsibility to stop a fight when the fighter is not intelligently defending himself (or in a position to defend himself)? Should the ref have stepped in to save an impending bone break?

That kind of thing is really bad for the 'sport', and would be great fodder for the ' Cock-fighting' brigade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

It's a fairly hard one to spot, or stop at the proper time. Basically those submissions, chicken wings and similar, are not on one second and then an oz of pressure later they're on. It's actually a really dangerous submission, more dangerous than the much maligned heelhook imo, because of the pressure on the shoulder, it's much more sudden than a regular kimura.

I wouldn't hold the ref responsible, nor would I say anyone is to blame for that it's just the nature of the game. A guy gets tackled hard enough in rugby his ribs break, it's not anyone's fault and not common enough to make it a real threat. Only special fighters like Aoki can do stuff like that to people. Great submission, shame about the injury but that's fighting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Hadn't been following the card in recent weeks so didn't know Masato was facing Andy Souwer and not Petrosyan :( was a fight i would loved to have seen old guard vs new so to speak.

But THAT is the the way to retire !!!!!!!! Against a world class opponent who came to fight. From that performance Masato has a few more in him for sure.

Dynamite has kind of lost it's sparkle in recent years i think, this was better than last year, but far from it's best :(

Edit for those wondering why some of these matches where made and rightly so it was a dream / sengoku co-promo so they had dream fighters vs sengoku fighters in the mma matches

Awesome edit Roper
    Why did the guy not tap out? (or did he and I missed it)

As flippant as it sounds: Welcome to Japan lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

I always liked Aoki too but with his antics last night I hope I get to watch him become the recipient of a brutal knockout or submission in the near future. I would love to see him BJ Penn.

Valmont wrote: »
    I always liked Aoki too but with his antics last night I hope I get to watch him become the recipient of a brutal knockout or submission in the near future. I would love to see him BJ Penn.

Ah there was some hard feeling's on Aoki's part and on the part of many that he wasn't fighting Kawajiri as was expected, from what I read he was super pissed off because of that, he only found out a week before the fight what the fight actually was allegedly, still no excuse imo.

calex71 wrote: »
    Ah there was some hard feeling's on Aoki's part and on the part of many that he wasn't fighting Kawajiri as was expected, from what I read he was super pissed off because of that, he only found out a week before the fight what the fight actually was allegedly, still no excuse imo.

Maybe he got UFC 100 for Christmas???

rovert wrote: »
    Maybe he got UFC 100 for Christmas???

He could have just done what I did and returned it for a Simpsons DVD ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭NiamhDunk

What are peoples feelings re: the Sokoudjou v Minoaman fight and the accusations of fixing ?

To be honest i'm well aware of it happening in Japan at MMA events but on a stage this big, really does more harm than good for a sport already on the ropes even if all they are are unfounded rumours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

NiamhDunk wrote: »

Was wondering how you learn to break limbs and feel happy about it:confused:
    Obviously this is a goal of his. (Not very sporting of him)

calex71 wrote: »
    What are peoples feelings re: the Sokoudjou v Minoaman fight and the accusations of fixing ?

To be honest i'm well aware of it happening in Japan at MMA events but on a stage this big, really does more harm than good for a sport already on the ropes even if all they are are unfounded rumours.

Blame WWII, Japan has continued fighting it in MMA and Pro Wrestling. The smaller naive overcomes it's much larger foe that is the story people involved what to tell. I’m kind of pragmatic when it comes to (alleged) fixing it is just part of the culture. That’s even before you begin talking about the Yakuza involvement in it all.

Advertisement