Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another bird identification needed

Options
  • 01-01-2010 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,343 ✭✭✭

Unfortunately I don't have a pic but here is a description
    -slightly larger than a blackbird
    -white chest with many grey/black speckles
    -mostly grey back with some brown on/near wings
    -mostly grey head with white stripes over the eyes
    -yellow beak

The closest bird that I know of to it would be a redwing except all the redwings I've seen are smaller and much less grey.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,343 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Update, I got a photo of him and I am pretty sure it is a fieldfare. Haven't seen one of those in the garden before
    100453.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

That is a lovely Fieldfare. Lucky you to get such a nice visitor to your garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

Amazing, I turn to boards to identify an unusual bird and the first thread I look at has the answer. I too have a couple of Fieldfares in my garden here in Galway. I genuinely do not recall ever seeing one before. It must be something to do with the cold conditions and my crop of fallen apples.

This is the great thing about Boards. There is always someone who knows the answer.

They stand out from all the usual population of my garden, Robins, Wrens, Blackbirds, Songthrush, Sparrows, Chaffinch, Blue Finch. Regular nature reserve my garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Hi all,

I am very new to this. I had this bird visiting us today. Its size is about the one of a Robin.

What bird is this? I was thinking it could a young one but this is very unlikely due to the season we are now I believe.

The picture is not great, but hopefully good enough to identify it is.

Thanks,
    Gustavo

That is a Dunnock. Nice pic :)

• Advertisement

Thank you Brian3D - a new one for my list (started 3 days ago) of birds seen in my garden, all of them picured :)

So far:
    Blue tit
    Great tit
    Robin
    Black bird
    Song thrush
    Wood pigeon
    Greenfinch
    Goldfinch
    Magpie

This is actually great fun.

Here is another migrant vistor - a Redwing. Not rare or unusual but nice to see. Large numbers of these visiting my garden
    100493.jpg

That's nice. I'll keep an eye :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Lads would a redwing be as big as a song thrush? if so I had a couple I think in the garden (Dublin5). IF there migrant vistors where would they normally inhabit
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

yep song thrush and redwing equivalent size. Fiedfare bigger and mistle thrush bigger again. The eye stripe on redwing is another key feature if you didn't see red underwing. Note that Song Thrush (and blackbird) also migrate here.

They migrate from Northern Europe - Scandanavia, Northern Russia, Iceland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

yep song thrush and redwing equivalent size. Fiedfare bigger and mistle thrush bigger again. The eye stripe on redwing is another key feature if you didn't see red underwing. Note that Song Thrush (and blackbird) also migrate here.

They migrate from Northern Europe - Scandanavia, Northern Russia, Iceland.

A huge flock of redwing used to land near my house every year. The field would literally be moving with them. Amazing sight.

Haven't seen them in years though.

Advertisement