Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Beer trips

Options
  • 31-12-2009 7:29pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok hitting Brussels in 2 weeks and and Prague in about a month,
    What bars/off licenses are absolutely unmissable, going to have to be reasonably central, as I'll have other with me,

And other random touristy stuff is cool too

but remember

BEER BEER BEER
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

There's a novelty half Irish half Cuban pub in Prague called O'Ché's.

The best way to get to know any city is a pub crawl.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

That definitely sounds like it should be top of the list.

Of places to avoid like the plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

The Delirium Café is a must.
    Huge selection - the menu has something like 2000 beers!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

The best way to get to know any city is a pub crawl.

Saw that mentioned about - seems like somewhere that's lively and good craic.
    I'm looking more at traditonal places, with great beer - but appreciated all the same.
    Prenderb wrote: »
    The Delirium Café is a must.
    Huge selection - the menu has something like 2000 beers!

I have a feeling I'll be doing my best to attack the beer supply here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Also just at the end of the alley that the Delirium cafe is on is the antidote to the Mannequin Pis - the girl version. Not worth a view at all. But it's there.

Also there's a great mercedes dealer/exhibit in Brussels too, I think this is the place - foreign language site but in the basement of this building is a cool merc car exhibition with some old cars - F1, rally cars, as well as some interactive exhibits. There's a brasserie there too, and a beautiful Maybach section. Worth a look if you're slightly into cars!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thelynchfella

Feckin love brussels...lived there for a while with my belgian ex!! You have to visit O'reilly's, Celtica, Michael Collins, fabian O'Farrels, you know...all the Irish Bars!!!.....ah no, defo check out the delirium cafe....and in a little lane off grand place there is place caled the coffin bar, basically its pitch black and the tables are coffins, good to visit, not a great selection of beers but worth the visit anyway. Its next door to a cuban cocktail bar...you wont be stuck for places to drink in Brussels, there are great bars everywhere!!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭marceldesailly

the new moeder lambic is very nice.at place fontainas about a 10minute walk from the grand place.great selection and knowledgable staff.definitely worth it. Cantillion brewery is worth a visit too.it's the brewing season now so they might be brewing if you go early enough..the coffin place is le cerceuil on herrings stasse. a two minute walk from here is morte subite and just opposite is another bar that does decent food at good prices.also do vegetarian stuff if you are that way inclined:) think its called arcadi.
    I'd probably skip the delerium cafe but that'd just be my choice.

other random brussels stuff.The military museum out at parc cinquantenaire is interesting.it's massive though. there a few good art museums too.

oh i would highly recommend taking a stroll up kebab alley at about 10pm.it's a site to behold!

in prague only beery place I know is U fleku,but if you check out http://www.fuggled.netyou might find bit more on prague. plenty otherstuff anyway to keep you occupied

enjoy your trip

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

The best Prague tourist post you'll find on Boards:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1798269&postcount=6

....and MadSL's follow up beer post!:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1802088&postcount=12

To his tips, I would also add U Bubenicku (http://www.ububenicku.cz - 5 minutes from centre, on Myslikova) and U Pinkasu (http://www.upinkasu.com/pe-home - bit touristy but I like it!). You can also try Pivovarsky Dum (http://gastroinfo.cz/pivodum/index.php?content=nabidkapiv&lang=eng), again a few minutes walk from the centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

In Prague, U Fleků is a nice place. They brew a really nice dark lager. The place is a bit of a tourist trap though, so get in for one or two to try the beer and head off.

Pivovarsky Dum is also a nice place aswell, some interesting flavoured beers in there (coffee, nettle, blueberry, etc) worth a try.

U Medvídků is another interesting place, they do a 12% sickly sweet beer called X-Beer. Worth a try but def not my fav beer!!

Krušovice Černé, Budvar Černé, and Bernard Černé (all dark lagers/schwarzbiers) are fairly widely available and all delicious. Also theres a nice beer by Kozel called Master. Its quite nice also.

I'm a bit of a sucker for the darks!! :o
    And shop around for beer, pints can be got for around 1 euro if you dont mind wandering a little off the beatin track.

As always in Prague, watch your bill, their terrible for adding up stuff wrong and adding extra things that you never got.

Enjoy the hol, I love the place!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

slayerking wrote: »

Krušovice Černé, Budvar Černé, and Bernard Černé (all dark lagers/schwarzbiers) are fairly widely available and all delicious. Also theres a nice beer by Kozel called Master. Its quite nice also.

Is Master not by PU?

U medvídků has some lovely beers, old gott was a favourite of mine last time i visited.

There is also a really cool pub over in old town, near the powder gate, that i cant remember the name of. The choice of beers isn't brilliant (I think they had staropramen and something else) but its a kind of grunge bar, with crazy stuff hanging up and in the windows, really cool place and has good live music. I will try to find a link for it and put it up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

gucci wrote: »
    Is Master not by PU?
    Several Czech breweries make a Master.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭superdog

I enjoyed "Aú bon vieux temps" bar last week in Brussels.

lovin all the advice Brussels is getting very close not - much appreciated

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Chez Moeder Lambic is unmissable for the cask Cantillon lambic. They've opened a new bar closer to the centre of town at Place Fontainas, which might be a substitute. Go to one if not both. The Cantillon brewery is also unmissable.

Beyond that, Bier Circus is pretty good, I like A La Bécasse on Rue Tabora, and there's the holy trinty on Grasmarkt of Aux Bon Vieux Temps, A L'Imaige de Notre Dame and Toon. There's also Delerium if you must, though I'd be inclined to head straight upstairs to its new American beer bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

i loved a la becasse which i discovered thanks to the beer nut though as far as i remember there's not a whole heap of stuff nearby, but i thought it was worth a diversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭pdebarra

Plus one to:

À la Bécasse, Moeder Lambic and Delirium Café, in that order (Brussels).

Righto just back from Brussels, Prague not for another 2 weeks, short summary

Poechenellekelder (hope I'm spelling that correctly) was where we began, and the whole group (1 not into beer) all really loved it, decor is just weird and brilliant, and they had around 5 beers on tap (seemed to be a rotation of specials), we just had a bit of food there a mixed plate of cheese and a couple of beers each, I hate my favourite of the trip there I reckon, which was Equinox, a big delicious perfectly winterish beer, came in at 8% really great.

A Lá Becasse was next small and weird, again we basically loved the place (common theme you'll notice), serving up lambics in ceramic jugs for you to pout and work through at your own pace, pretty lovely stuff but I'm a sucker for the sour sharpness of the lambeeks. Didn't have any food but looked like a decent spot to eat too.

Aux bon Vieux Temps nice little place, not a huge amount going on beer wise might of had 1 tap that was used for specials, if even, and a (by brussels standard) average-ish bottle menu, sadly the thing that makes this place special I think is that they normally stock westvleteren, which was out at the time.

L'Imaige De Nostre Dame a lovely small cubby hole type pub, quiet relax, no hustle and bustle, again around 5 beers on rotation by the looks of it, good variety though a couple of lambic fruit beers, and some seasonal ones like Bush de Noel, nice spot again.

A la Mort Subite cool place, fairly old crowd so it was pretty quiet, but nice staff and just drank away on the mort Subite beers, there own Gueze is pretty fantastic as are the fruity brethren.

Delirium
    BeerNut wrote: »
    There's also Delerium if you must, though I'd be inclined to head straight upstairs to its new American beer bar.

I am totally shocked at that statement now, I can only assume you hate the atmosphere or some such. Basement is the Bottled Beer area which boosts around 2004 different beers at peak, huge variety, nice staff, a little bit loud sure, but not to the point where you can't chat away with whoever your accompanied by.
    the Ground floor is the Taphouse with about 20 beers on tap, and honestly some absolute gems, I guess my timing somewhat lucky as alot of breweries had the Christmas beers out.
    Upstairs the American Bar you mentioned is lovely no doubt about it but the most restricted in terms of choice (obviously so, and even then still fantastic) with around 6 taps and at a guess 100-150 bottles maybe, still lovely had a Titan IPA on tap which was enamel strippingly bitter.

that's all I can think of right now, tips from all really appreciated, I stupidly ear marker Bier Circus in the back of me head as shop not a pub, and we just didn't get a chance to go to Moeder Lambic, but I'll be back there so no big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Sounds good Denis.
    Headin to Bruges in March and really lookin forward to it.
    Out of curiousity, is it expensive drink and food wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

mayordenis wrote: »

I am totally shocked at that statement now, I can only assume you hate the atmosphere or some such.

It can get a little "spring break" with the American collage kids

slayerking wrote: »
    Sounds good Denis.
    Headin to Bruges in March and really lookin forward to it.
    Out of curiousity, is it expensive drink and food wise?

Certainly not expensive by our standards anyway, a drink on draught was generally €3-4 with a little variance either side, I would say the average for a drink is closer to €3, and this isn't for ****e this was for the best on offer really.
    Food was mostly the same, marginally cheaper than back home with say a standard dish lets say lasagne somewhere in and around €8 euro, I got stung because I very drunkenly ordered lobster.

I guess seen as the drinks are smaller that the price isn't amazing, or some will say that seen as the drinks are stronger (I think out of 20 or so beers I had nearly all were 8-10%) some will say the price to mangled ratio is very good, but the quality just made me not really think about it, a round of 4 drinks for me and my entourage rarely crept over 15 anyway.
    oblivious wrote: »
    It can get a little "spring break" with the American collage kids

I completely assumed that was what it was, luckily enough it was pretty quiet when I was there, and maybe travelling as a group helped.

oh and toone was closed whenever we went near it, missed it on saturday when I think it was open but sunday and monday it was closed :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement